Police are investigating reports of a man with a gun on the campus of Manchester Community College this afternoon.  Manchester Police say the call came in at about 2:o0 this afternoon.

Students who attend the school say they were told to take cover because of an incident on campus. The school’s website says there is a “shelter-in-place” emergency and advised  students who were not on campus to stay away.

One professor who was teaching a class at the time tells WTIC News they were told to stay away from doors and windows,  with the doors locked.  Students were seated at their desks,  with the lights off.

A student inside one of the classrooms says police are going classroom-to-classroom to escort students out.

Some 300 to 400 students at the Great Path Academy magnet school operated by the Hartford Board of Education and located on the MCC campus were being kept inside the school building.  Buses were delayed and parents were notified.  A Hartford schools spokesman says everyone is safe,  and the students will be returned home by bus when the all-clear is sounded.

College President Gena Glickman says the shelter-in-place was announced just before 2:00 p.m.  She says all classes and campus events were cancelled after 2.  MCC held a drill on sheltering-in-place just last month.

* * * * *

Hear a report from WTIC’s Matt Dwyer:

* * * * *

MANCHESTER, Conn. (AP) _ The campus of Manchester Community College was locked down Wednesday after a student reported seeing a man with what she believed to be a gun in his waistband, and one of the officers involved in the response was apparently injured in an accidental shooting.

Students were urged to stay away from campus as police armed with rifles searched and cleared the buildings one classroom at a time, a process expected to last into the evening. A couple hours after the alert, college president Gena Glickman said authorities were confident the situation was under control.

Police radio reported an accidental discharge of a firearm and an officer was taken from the scene in a police cruiser to Hartford Hospital, according to the Journal Inquirer of Manchester.

When the student reported seeing a man with a gun shortly before 2 p.m., the college sent an alert to students by text message and called Manchester police, who quickly responded. Classes were canceled for the day and people were told to stay out of the halls as police conducted their search.

Glickman said the lockdown went smoothly but it would likely take a couple of hours for police to finish the room-to-room search.
Glickman said students from a high school on the campus were taken by bus to another location so their parents could pick them up. She said an ambulance was called for one student who suffered an asthma attack.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. )


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live