Hear Governor Malloy’s 6 p.m. briefing

By DAVE COLLINS,  Associated Press

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ A powerful winter storm that swept into the Northeast Friday led to dozens of accidents and shortages at gas stations in Connecticut as residents braced for possible power outages and wind damage along the shoreline, where some are still recovering from Superstorm Sandy.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy declared a state of emergency and deployed National Guard troops around the state in case they’re needed for emergencies related to the storm, which was expected to dump up to two feet of snow across the region. Malloy also imposed a travel ban on the state’s limited access highways. State police reported nearly 100 minor accidents across the state by Friday afternoon.  (See the travel ban)

“If you don’t currently have a reason to be on the road, if you’re not an emergency personnel that’s required to report to work somewhere, stay home,” Malloy said at a state armory news conference. “This is it. Things are starting to accumulate.”

Snow began to fall in the state Friday morning amid a blizzard warning issued by the National Weather Service for all of Connecticut, along with other eastern parts of New England.

Forecasters expected the worst of the storm to hit Friday evening into Saturday morning, with heavy snow and wind gusts of up to 60 mph making driving extremely difficult.
Hemlock Hardware in downtown Fairfield was doing a brisk business of selling shovels, batteries, firewood, salt and sand and sleds. The store was getting a lot of calls for generators too.

“There’s definitely a change in response to storms now,” said owner Scott Pesavento. “Power outages I guess is the first concern now when they hear storm.”

Al Terrile, a 69-year-old retired Southport resident, stocked up on batteries, a box of firewood and a light at the hardware store. He lost power for four days during Sandy.

“Maybe nothing will happen but just in case,” he said. “It seems like our electrical system has suddenly turned fragile.”

Connecticut Light & Power and United Illuminating, the state’s largest electricity suppliers, were planning for up to 30 percent of customers to lose power, Malloy said, and were calling in line crews from out of state. That would be more than 400,000 homes and businesses, although the companies reported only a few scattered outages early Friday afternoon.

CL&P said outages could last days. Michael West, a United Illuminating spokesman, said up to 10 percent of UI’s 324,000 customers could be affected.

More than 800 state and private plow crews were ready to hit the roads. Transportation Department workers began pretreating highways with de-icing chemicals on Thursday.
Schools and colleges were closed. Airports and train and bus services were set to shut down later Friday.

Some restaurants and other venues were closed at Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun, but the casinos were planning to stay open through the storm.

Gas stations ran out of fuel Thursday night during the rush to prepare for the storm. Motorists said stations in Torrington, West Hartford, Vernon, East Lyme and other towns ran out as people filled their cars and trucks as well as containers for generators and snow blowers. Long lines were reported at many stations.

Many people were making last-minute preparations Friday.

James Small, 34, of Reading, Mass., bought two generators at The Home Depot in Manchester, Conn., just as the snow began to fall. The AT&T employee was wrapping up three days of work in central Connecticut and was about to start a two-hour drive home, where his wife and three young sons were awaiting his return.

“She’s been pulling her hair out all week,” he said.

The Weather Service also posted a coastal flood warning for southern Fairfield County, saying Friday evening’s high tide could be 3 to 5 feet higher than normal in western Long Island Sound.

Kathy Niznansky, a 65-year-old teacher in Fairfield, is still recovering from flooding from Superstorm Sandy and was bracing for the blizzard and the potential for more flooding Friday. Sandy, which arrived on her birthday, knocked her out of her house near the beach for two months.

“I’m really nervous,” Niznansky said. “Now I’m really worried about this tide tonight. I just don’t want any more flooding.”

She planned to take a walk and say some prayers, “because tonight is the surge and it reminds me so much of Sandy it makes my stomach jump.”
Malloy told all non-essential state employees to stay home. All state courthouses were closed.

All flights in and out of Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks after 1:30 p.m. were canceled as airport officials expected 2 feet or more of snow. Airport spokesman John Wallace said most morning flights arrived and departed as scheduled but about 125 flights were canceled. Tweed-New Haven Airport officials said they expected to shut down when the snow became very heavy.

Metro-North added extra trains in the afternoon in an effort to get riders to their destinations before the worst of the storm hits. Metro-North officials said they’ll start decreasing service after 5 p.m. and warned that train service could be canceled at any time based on weather conditions.

Amtrak suspended train service between Boston and New York Friday afternoon, following the earlier cancellation of service between Springfield, Mass., and New Haven. Connecticut Transit planned to cease all bus service by 6 p.m. Friday.
Associated Press writers John Christoffersen in Fairfield, Conn., and Stephen Singer in Manchester, Conn., contributed to this report.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. )


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live