Woman Burned By Bible Camp Heater Awarded $1.4 Million

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (CBS Connecticut and AP) – A woman who was severely burned by a propane heater at a Connecticut bible camp has been awarded $1.4 million in a negligence lawsuit.

Nicole Andrew was visiting her boyfriend at the Mountain Lake Bible Camp in Warren in January 2014 when her flannel shirt caught fire while she was standing about an arm’s length away from the heater. Andrew was 19 at the time and suffered burns on 90 percent of her back.

The Connecticut Law Tribune reports that a six-person jury awarded Andrew $1.4 million last month in her lawsuit accusing the camp of failing to warn her of the potential dangers of the heater.

The camp’s lawyers have asked a judge to overturn the verdict, saying there wasn’t enough evidence to prove the camp was negligent.

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.) 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

CT Business Spotlight
CBS Hartford 4 Charity

Listen Live