HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The skulls of an adult man and woman have been found at a waste transfer station near some books and videos on witchcraft and Satan, police said Friday.
The skulls and a jaw bone were found Thursday in Stamford in a pile of recyclables brought from the home of a Fairfield man who recently died, said Stamford police Lt. Diedrich Hohn.
“What we are hearing from sources and stuff is that this guy, who has passed away, was into the occult,” Hohn said. “That’s what we’re investigating now.”
Robert DiVitto, 89, also of Fairfield, said the skulls belonged to his son, also named Robert, who died this month at 56. He said his son purchased them online.
“I just got done talking to the police,” he told The Associated Press by telephone. “There is no story here. They were purchased by my son as a joke. That is all I’m going to say.”
One skull was complete; the other was missing its mandible, or jawbone, which was found nearby, Hohn said.
DiVitto said he wasn’t aware the skulls were real. It wasn’t clear if his son knew they were real.
Hohn said officers sifting through the debris from the man’s home also came across several books on witchcraft and books and videos dealing with Satanism.
The skulls and the mandible were sent to the medical examiner’s office in Farmington, where it was determined the larger one came from a man and the smaller skull and mandible came from a woman. Both people died late in life, Hohn said.
There were no signs of trauma on either skull.
The skulls are being sent to an anthropologist to get a more accurate estimate of the ages of the deceased, he said.
“We’re looking at all angles to determine where they came from, to make sure it wasn’t a grave robbery,” Hohn said. “You could buy these skulls online. We also want to make sure there is nothing sinister, that no one was murdered.”
DiVitto described his son as “troubled” in an interview with the Hearst Media Group. He said his son had them on display in the living room.
Part of the larger skull appeared to be colored blue. Hohn said he was told by the medical examiner that was the result of being bleached.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.