Mom Finds Mold Inside Child’s Juice Box
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (CBS Connecticut) – A suburban New Haven mother says she got more than she bargained for when she opened a juice pouch…mold!
Brandee Huston tells WFSB-TV she was pouring the Capri Sun juice into her daughter’s sippy cup, when she saw something floating.
“It was the most disgusting thing I’d ever seen,” she told the station.
The incident happened last June, but Huston says she came forward after seeing recent reports of similar moldy finds in kids juice containers.
Huston said she immediately contacted Kraft to let them know about the problem, but she was unhappy with the company’s response.
“They gave me 3 coupons for Kraft products, mac and cheese, more Capri suns,” she said. “Like I was going to purchase more Capri Sun?”
She then took the substance to the local health department and scientists there confirmed it was mold.
Community educator specialist Amy Hanoian-Fontana said that mold may not be the only unsanitary thing in the juice.
“If you allow mold to grow in a container like that there could be other things growing in a container like that, for example, bacterial food poisoning,” she told WFSB-TV.
Kraft Foods, the maker of Capri Sun and other juice products, will begin making juice boxes with clear bottoms, so customers can check for any unwanted substances before drinking.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)