New Haven Fire Sends Woman To Hospital

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (CBS Connecticut) _ A woman was hospitalized with burn injuries after a fire at a New Haven apartment building Friday afternoon.

A woman who was in her kitchen in a first floor apartment at 95-97 Farren Ave. was injured as a result of an explosion that blew out a wall. She was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with burns to several areas of her body.

She was able to speak with investigators. Shortly after her arrival at the hospital, she was transported to the Bridgeport Burn Unit, where she’s reported in stable condition.

Everyone in the building – 10 adults and seven children – all residents of the building – were accounted for and there were no other injuries.

The fire broke out around 4 p.m. and was under control an hour later.

The Red Cross is helping those forced from their homes.

Fire investigators are expected to be on the scene Friday and Saturday. Preliminary information suggests the fire originated in the woman’s kitchen and may have been accidental.

The building is somewhat unstable and is tentatively scheduled for demolition as early as Saturday, or as soon as investigators have concluded their work.


More From CBS Connecticut

Win Red Sox Tickets All Season
Price Chopper Supermarkets Presents Retail Food Rescue Program

Listen Live