WTIC1080

Local News

Attorney General Says Sandy Hook Plans Do Not Violate Donors’ Intent

View Comments
File photo of a sign in Newtown, Conn. with information about the town. (Photo by WTIC's Nicole Jacques.)

File photo of a sign in Newtown, Conn. with information about the town. (Photo by WTIC’s Nicole Jacques.)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) _ Connecticut’s attorney general says a foundation overseeing more than $11 million in donations received in response to the Newtown school shooting did not violate donor intent in its decisions for allocating the money to victim families and the community.

The Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation plans to give $7.7 million to families of the 26 people killed, 12 surviving children from the classrooms where people were shot and the two people wounded during the shooting. Committees will decide on how to use the balance.

Attorney General George Jepsen said in a letter Wednesday that the foundation’s plan did not violate donor intent. He says he’s not endorsing or opposing the decision.

Connecticut’s U.S. Senators Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy called last month for an independent audit to determine donor intent.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 822 other followers