New Trial Granted In Murder Conviction

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) _ The Connecticut Supreme Court has granted a new trial to a man convicted of a gang-related killing in 1996, ruling that the false testimony of a key witness deprived him of a fair trial.

The high court on Monday upheld an Appellate Court decision granting a new trial to Sean Adams, who has been serving a 100-year prison sentence in the killing of Jason Smith in New Haven.

The court said the witness, Andre Clark, testified falsely he had not been promised any consideration on unrelated criminal charges in exchange for his testimony against Adams. The court said Clark’s credibility would likely have been seriously undermined if the jury knew he had been promised leniency for his cooperation and lied about it.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

CBS Hartford 4 Charity
Win Red Sox Tickets All Season

Listen Live