Conn. AG: No Basis To Hold State Liable For $100M For 6-Year-Old Newtown Survivor’s Trauma, Injuries

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut’s attorney general says there appears to be no basis to support a lawyer’s request to sue the state for $100 million over the Newtown school shootings on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor.

The Hartford Courant reports George Jepsen said Monday his office knows of “no facts or legal theory under which the State of Connecticut should be liable for causing the harms inflicted at Sandy Hook Elementary School.”

Lawyer Irving Pinsky last week asked to sue the state, saying his client suffered “emotional and psychological trauma and injury.” He says state officials failed to prevent his client from foreseeable harm.

Connecticut has immunity against most lawsuits unless it gives a party permission to sue.

Pinsky says he’s doing what’s appropriate in the name of school safety.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

The Latest UConn News
CT Business Spotlight

Listen Live