Winter storm warning: The National Weather Service has posted a Winter Storm Warning for parts of the state Wednesday morning through Thursday morning.  Stay with WTIC NewsTalk 1080 for the latest forecast, and for traffic problems resulting from the weather. Read More

Local News

$100m Sandy Hook Lawsuit Request Withdrawn

View Comments
(Andrew Burton/Getty Images)

(Andrew Burton/Getty Images)

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP and WTIC-AM) _ A Connecticut attorney seeking to sue the state for $100 million over the Newtown school shootings on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor has withdrawn the claim – at least for now.

The Stamford Advocate reports that Irving Pinsky withdrew the potential suit but says he might refile. He says he received new evidence on security at Sandy Hook Elementary School and is reviewing it.

Pinsky last week asked to sue the state, saying his client suffered “emotional and psychological trauma and injury.” He says state officials failed to prevent his client from foreseeable harm.

“Our overriding issue is to hope to inspire our government and our people to institute better more modern security measures in our schools to avoid the next disaster,” Pinsky said. He sys he hopes his latest move will “calm down the divisiveness in our society.”

Pinsky had filed paperwork with the state claims commissioner, a first step towards suing the state. That paperwork has now been withdrawn.

Connecticut has immunity against most lawsuits unless it gives a party permission to sue.

The state attorney general said Monday there appears to be no basis to support a lawsuit or the state’s liability.
___
Information from: The Advocate, http://www.stamfordadvocate.com

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 882 other followers