Malloy: “A Long Ways To Go,” But State Is Better Prepared For A Big Storm

By SUSAN HAIGH, Associated Press

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says Connecticut is better prepared for a natural disaster than it was a year ago when the remnants of Hurricane Irene struck the state, but some issues remain.

In an interview Friday with The Associated Press, Malloy said the state still has “a long ways to go” when it comes to reducing the number of trees that can knock down power lines and block roads. While the state and electric utilities have ramped up tree-cutting efforts, Malloy predicted it will take years to get to where the state needs to be.

Malloy said communication between state and local governments and with the various utilities has greatly improved since last year.
Some issues are still being reviewed, such as keeping gas stations open during outages.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

Ski Card
WTIC Holiday Stores 2016

Listen Live