MERIDEN, Conn. (AP and WTIC) — A man charged with killing the 70-year-old owner of a Meriden convenience store was ordered held on $3.1 million bail during his first court appearance in the case.
Thirty-six-year-old Frankie Resto was arraigned Friday in Meriden Superior Court. He was extradited to Connecticut on Thursday after surrendering to police in New York City last week.
He wore a long, white T-shirt, and had the same shaved head as in a mug shot police distributed while they were looking for him.
His public defender, Mark Buebendorf, said Resto is disabled, and unable to work. Buebendorf also asked for a drug and alcohol detox for his client.
Resto is charged with felony murder, robbery and other crimes in the June 27 fatal shooting of Ibrahim Ghazal inside an EZ Mart store on Main Street.
Surveillance video shows Ghazal handing over money from the cash register to a man who then points a gun across the counter. Ghazal was shot once in the chest.
Another man, Willie Breyette of New Britain, is charged with aiding and abetting the robbery and hindering prosecution. Breyette’s father said his son had no idea what was going to happen at the convenience store.
At the end of the brief hearing, Resto told his attorney “Let them know that Willie Breyette ain’t got nothing to do with none of that.”
“Let him go,” Resto said.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.