ALBANY, N.Y (AP) _ Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office said Thursday that it was releasing motor vehicles data to investigators regarding “evidence of false statements” by the driver of a tour bus in a horrific crash that killed 15 people last weekend.
“Today, the Department of Motor Vehicles turned over information to the New York State Police and the state inspector general regarding evidence of false statements given by Ophadell Williams, and has suspended, effective immediately, his driving privileges,” said Howard Glaser, director of state operations.
“The information the DMV is referring for investigation includes driver license applications containing false statements about the status of his license and whether this was done to conceal the fact that he had been using multiple names and had a suspension under one of those names,” Glaser said in a statement. “The investigation is active and ongoing.”
In New York City, some of the first emergency workers to reach the scene of a deadly bus crash were being questioned Thursday by investigators from the state police and the National Transportation Safety Board.
The bus ran off the road along Interstate 95 in the Bronx as it was returning to New York’s Chinatown from an overnight trip to a Connecticut casino Saturday. The bus tipped on its side and slammed into a pole that sheared it nearly end to end.
Some key questions remain unanswered. Investigators haven’t released drug and alcohol tests on the driver’s blood.
They also haven’t said whether evidence has been found to support the driver’s contention that he was clipped by a passing tractor-trailer.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)