Only CBS

WFSB - Eyewitness News

Man arrested for intentionally setting two fires in 2016NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) – A man has been arrested in connection to two intentionally set fires New Haven in 2016. The fires occurred on July 13, 2016. The first fire was at Taco Bell on Foxon Boulevard just after 5:30 p.m., where a trash container in the men’s restroom was set on fire. The second incident, nine minutes later, occurred at the Shell Gas Station on Townsend Avenue, where another trash container in the men’s restroom was set on fire. Shortly after, surveillance video of Anthony Laudano of North Haven. In January 2019, Laudano was arrested for a series of illegal fires he set in the fall of 2018 by North Haven detectives. New Haven police said this provided key information to secure arrest warrants for Laudano for the two fires in 2016. On Wednesday, July 17, 2019, Laudano was arrested for the 2016 arsons. He is currently being held on a $300,000 bond.
Avon police investigating possible armed robbery at local parkAVON, CT (WFSB) – An active investigation is underway in Avon at a local park Wednesday evening. The incident took place at Countryside Park, which is a popular summertime spot. According to police, they are investigating what was reported as an armed robbery. Police focused on a car throughout the night, which was parked in the back corner of a parking lot. At least one window was blown out. The victim told police at least two suspects approached the car with guns. It’s unclear what, if anything, was stolen, but police said there were no injuries. Police are searching for suspects involved in the case but did not provide their descriptions. There is no risk to the public and this was an isolated incident, according to police. Refresh this page and stay tuned to Channel 3 for updates on this story.
Exclusive: Local church abuse victim protesting against Diocese of NorwichNORWICH, CT (WFSB) – The Catholic church is still recovering from a world-wide sex abuse scandal, which has shaken the faith of thousands of survivors. In the Diocese of Norwich, after decades of alleged abuse and cover-ups, one of those survivors is waging a one-man protest against what he calls the church’s lack of accountability. A beautiful, meticulously maintained brick parish house is the home to the Diocese of Norwich Bishop Michael Cote. Bishop Cote has repeatedly refused to meet with a once devout, but now severely damaged follower. “I am the enemy of the church,” said Tim McGuire. McGuire, 60-years-old, is protesting what he calls the diocese’s arrogantly dismissive attitude toward the “children of God” who lost their innocence to pedophile priests. He’s walking for friends he’s known and lost, people he’s never met, and a little boy from Noank. “It got worse every time. The second meeting I had to fondle him. The third meeting he penetrated me,” McGuire said. “He raped my soul. Where do you have left to go?” It has taken McGuire nearly 50 years to come to grips with his pain and shame. He says it began at age 8, in 1967, as an altar boy in a Noank church. The repeated sexual molestation and rape by Father James Curry. “After a couple of times, it was a hand wave and a nod. He didn’t have to say anything. I was expected to see him after church,” McGuire said. Curry died in 1986, but his name lives on, appearing on <a href="" target="_blank">a list published by the Diocese of Norwich</a> this year of 43 Diocesan priests, “credibly accused” of sexually abusing children. McGuire says Curry’s abuse cost him his self-esteem and his faith. “There’s no where left to go. He took God away from me. He took your religion, took your innocence, what’s left,” McGuire said. McGuire says for over a decade, Bishop Cote and diocese officials have refused to meet with him, and not even take his phone calls. “It’s been too long. Somebody owes me an explanation or an apology and some justice. Some accountability,” McGuire said. In Connecticut, church accountability can be hard to come by. Experts say our state has some of the nation’s weakest laws regarding church related child sexual abuse. They cite two reasons. The state’s attorney is unable to even issue a subpoena to church officials prior to an arrest. And while Connecticut’s newly revised “statute of limitations bill” gives survivors three more years, until age 51, to file a civil lawsuit against the church, the bill fails to allow for an added “window” for victims older than 51. When McGuire came forward 12 years ago, he learned he missed the cut off date by three weeks. “You’re come at with resources beyond your comprehension. You’re treated like this is an all-out assault on the church,” McGuire said. University of Pennsylvania professor, Marci Hamilton, who testified along with McGuire about statute of limitations reform at the state capitol, is considered the nation’s leading expert on child sexual abuse and the reluctance of victims to speak out, even decades later. Hamilton calls Connecticut’s law a disgrace. “The situation in Connecticut is that they are falling farther and farther behind, so while at one point their statute of limitations was not terrible, on a daily basis it’s getting worse,” Hamilton said. McGuire still believes in God but refuses to step inside a church. He continues his one-man protests at Diocese of Norwich churches, but he’s lost faith that Bishop Cote will ever break his silence. Bishop Cote has steadfastly refused to turn over “secret” church files on sex abuse complaints to law enforcement. “As long as they are hiding secrets, they are being poisoned by this problem just as much as society is,” Hamilton said. “The bishop needs to own up to his inaction and his mistreatment of victims at the hands of priests he oversaw,” McGuire said. McGuire says he will continue to return to diocese churches every day for as long as it takes to find some form of accountability and justice. “What’s the difference whether I pace in my living room or out here? I think the difference is, I can spread a message here, I can’t in my living room,” McGuire said. Over the past several weeks, Eyewitness News has made numerous requests to Bishop Cote for comment on McGuire’s case and those of other sexual abuse victims. The bishop refuses to comment, calling the allegations against diocese priests “matters of a personal nature.”
Retiring Greenwich police sergeant works together with sons for the first timeGREENWICH, CT (WFSB) – A Greenwich Police Officer who is retiring this month got to work with his three sons, who are also Greenwich Police Officers, together for the first time on Thursday. Sergeant Michael O’Connor worked with his three sons Michael Jr, Patrick, and William, who all followed their father’s footsteps into roles in law enforcement. According to the Greenwich Police Department’s Facebook page, Sgt. O’Connor is a lifelong resident of Greenwich. He began his career 43 years ago as a volunteer firefighter in 1976. He then became a police dispatcher in 1984 and became a police officer for Greenwich on July 6, 1984. Sergeant O’Connor served as an Accident Car Officer for seven years, Patrol Supervisor, Shift Commander, and Commander of the Marine Section.
Chainsaw carvings turning heads in SouthingtonSome creative carvings are turning heads in Southington.
Newington adjusts festival hours due to extreme heatNEWINGTON, CT (WFSB) -- Some changes are being made to an outdoor festival being held in Newington this weekend. Due to the extreme heat expected, the 38th Annual Life. Be in it. Extravaganza at Mill Pond Park in Newington is reducing its operating hours. The festivities will not start until 5 p.m. on Saturday. The event features fireworks, a carnival, beer and wine garden, food trucks, and music. The carnival rides will be open from 5 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. The wristband price for Saturday has been reduced from $30 to only $25. There will be a fireworks show that will begin at 9:30 p.m.
Naugatuck park shut down after being trashedNAUGATUCK, CT (WFSB) -- A park in Naugatuck is currently closed after it was trashed by park-goers. Police said they were contacted earlier this week by a number of people regarding the condition of Platts Mill River Park. According to police, a large group of people went to the area to access the river and left it in “such a poor state that community members staged a clean-up effort to remove trash and debris left by these park attendees.” The area will be closed through the upcoming weekend as a result. Additional closures will be determined at a later time, and police will be stepping up patrols in the area as well. Police are reminding folks that the area is not safe for swimming. “Camp fires, open consumption of liquor, and activities that will deteriorate this area are strictly prohibited and enforcement action may be taken,” Naugatuck police said. In fact, on Thursday afternoon a Ch. 3 crew went to the park area to check it out. When they arrived, they saw two people illegally dumping contents off a truck. It happened just before 4 p.m. on Thursday. The two people stopped what they were doing when they saw the Ch. 3 crew and drove off. "That’s a serious problem. Believe it or not, if they did not see your vehicle so labeled, they would have continued doing what they had already started doing," said Richard Prosser, of Friends of Platts Mill River Park. He visits the park as often as he can, and the sight disgusts him. "Why are you going to dump it on the side of the river? That’s totally wrong, you don’t do that," Prosser said. Friends of the river hope the increase in police and shutting down of the area will be a wake-up call for those who consider it their personal dumping ground. "It needs to be stopped now, so if we have to sacrifice this 100 degree weekend, so what? You have to look at the big picture. If we all stand strong and say this is not going to happen, they’re going to have to go somewhere else to make the mess," Prosser said. Police are thanking those community members who are committed to keeping the borough as clean and litter-free as possible.
Middletown recycling program collects used wine corksCity officials in Middletown are saving the earth, one cork at a time.
Advocates push for judges to get more training to help domestic violence victimsHARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -- A special forum on Thursday focused on how state judges can do a better job at helping victims of domestic violence. The forum was hosted by lawmakers, judges, and victims’ advocates. The goal is to provide better training for judges in family court, in addition to family counselors who work in the court system. “It’s a really complicated issue. We are viewing this from our side as an opportunity to do better and collectively work together to make policy change,” said Karen Jarmoc, of the CT Coalition Against Domestic Violence. There has been some training for judges, but advocates say its minimal and they would like to see more training.
Woman arrested after allegedly pointing gun at personNEW LONDON, CT (WFSB) – A woman was arrested after allegedly pointing a gun at someone on Wednesday morning. New London Police were called to the area of Bank Street and Shaw Street just before noon. Officers made contact with a woman, later identified as Sharisol Vincent, who had a loaded 9mm semi-automatic handgun with a high capacity magazine. Vincent was arrested and charged with carrying a pistol without a permit, possession of a high capacity magazine and breach of peace.