WFSB - Eyewitness News

Ten people, including multiple children rescued after boat crash on Bantam LakeLITCHFIELD, CT (WFSB) – Emergency crews were called to a boat crash on Bantam Lake on Tuesday afternoon. Ten people, including several children, were rescued from the water. Crews responded to Litchfield Town Beach off Lennox Hill Road. The two boats collided on the lake and two people were taken to the hospital, but no serious injuries were reported. One of the boats involved in the crash sunk. "Very relieved, very relieved everyone was pulled out, which is good. Everybody was accounted for, which brings it down a little bit, the level of urgency," said Chief Robert Ebner, Morris Fire Department. The cause of the crash is under investigation. State police said they assisted the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection with the investigation. This is the fourth crash on Bantam Lake this summer. Ebner believes distracted driving has become a problem on the lake, although the cause of this crash is unknown. Stay with Ch. 3 as more information becomes available.
Tuesday marked 5th heat wave, storms return WednesdayHARTFORD, CT (WFSB) - Tumultuous weather, along with the humidity, may make a return on Wednesday. Tuesday marked the 5th heat wave of the year, as the temperature hit 90 degrees at Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks. it's official! with a high of 90° at <a href="">@Bradley_Airport</a>, our 5th heat wave of the year is in the books... it won't last another day as we're expecting clouds with rain/storms tomorrow. <a href=""></a>— Mark Dixon (@MarkDixonTV) <a href="">August 20, 2019</a> A warm front arrives overnight, which will drag the humidity back into the state. Clouds will move in Wednesday morning, along with some scattered showers and possibly a thunderstorm, Chief Meteorologist Bruce DePrest said. The risk for strong to severe storms comes for Wednesday afternoon and evening, bringing potential damaging winds and hail and torrential downpours and lightning. Channel 3 issued an Early Warning Weather Alert on Tuesday as a result. The Storm Prediction Center in Oklahoma placed the state in its "slight risk" category for severe weather. "An isolated tornado or two can’t be ruled out. Since there will be so much moisture in the air, storms will also produce torrential downpours, which could lead to localized flash flooding," DePrest said. Temperatures will be in the 80s. "Showers and thunderstorms will linger into tomorrow night, although they will gradually diminish in coverage and in intensity," DePrest said. Overnight will be muggy with lows between 68 and 74 degrees. Thursday, there will be another chance for rain/storms with the arrival of a cold front that eventually brings an end to the heat/humidity. Temperatures will be in the mid-to-upper 80s. The cold front will move offshore Thursday night and start to take the humidity with it. Overnight lows then should be in the 60s. Showers could linger into early Friday with clearing thereafter. Relief from the humidity will come Friday and it should last through the weekend. The weekend and beyond looks stellar, with low humidity, seasonable temps and lots of sunshine. Read the complete technical discussion <a href="" target="_blank">here</a>. For weather updates on smartphones and tablets, head <a href="" target="_blank">here</a> or text "WFSB" to 23765 to download the Channel 3 app.
LSU officials: No shots fired after armed intruder reportedBATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Officials at Louisiana State University said there were no shots fired and no injuries after an armed intruder was reported on campus Tuesday afternoon but called the situation "ongoing." The university posted a message on Twitter about 3 p.m. saying an armed intruder had been reported in Coates Hall and police were on the scene. Coates Hall houses academic departments and several student support services, according to the LSU website. The tweet advised students and others on the Baton Rouge campus to run, hide or fight. In a later post, university officials said: "The situation is ongoing. No shots have been fired, and there are no injuries. Continue to avoid the area or remain in a safe place." Classes are not in session at the state's flagship university, but many students have been moving back to the school after summer break. Update: LSUPD has investigated the report of an armed subject at Coates Hall and has determined there was no threat. LSU is returning to normal operations.&mdash; LSU (@LSU) <a href="">August 20, 2019</a> Police had cordoned off an area around the building with tape and several officers were present, but life on the campus appeared to go on without disruption. Students mingled at the student union across the street, and traffic flowed normally.
Police presence seen in Coventry neighborhood clearsCOVENTRY, CT (WFSB) -- A police presence seen in Coventry on Hendee Road on Tuesday has cleared. The police activity was reported a little before 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday. By about 5:30 p.m., crews were seen clearing the area. Coventry police would only say officers were out there, but did not provide any further details. Members of a SWAT team were also at the scene. Stay with Ch. 3 as more information becomes available.
Granite stone in memory of late Farmington teen vandalizedFARMINGTON, CT (WFSB) -- As if losing a child isn't devastating enough, a Farmington family is now trying to wrap their heads around vandals defacing their late daughter's memorial stone. Alyssa Roy was 16 years old and about to enter her senior year at Farmington High School when she was killed in a crash in Bristol in 2007. A 300-pound granite stone was placed at the high school in Roy’s memory, but now it sits in her father David Roy’s truck bed. “I don't know what the first feeling was when I saw it yesterday morning. It was difficult to see,” David Roy said. On the stone, his daughter's photo which is now scratched, along with scratches on both sides of it. David Roy is now bringing the memorial stone to his home. “Our hope was that people see this and understand the risk what could really happen if you don't pay attention when you're driving,” David Roy said. Friday marks the anniversary of Alyssa’s death. “This has made the anniversary week, the 12-year anniversary week, that this will no longer be here to represent our daughter. It's got to go to my house now, there's no safe place for it,” David Roy said. The Bristol crash took the life of four teenagers, including Alyssa who was a passenger. The driver was traveling 140 miles per hour. Drugs or alcohol didn’t play a role. While David Roy is hoping the stone could be repaired, he has a message for the person who damaged it, saying “if I had to say anything to the child who did this, I would pray that his family would never experience the pain that we go through and that this has created to them.” Anyone with information is asked to contact Farmington police.
Killingworth man accused of sexually assaulting teen girlKILLINGWORTH, CT (WFSB) – A Killingworth man was arrested following a sexual assault investigation involving a 16-year-old girl. State police arrested 74-year-old Steven J. Azzaro on Tuesday for an investigation that began in March. Police said a young female reported Azzaro repeatedly molested her while she visited his home and was under his care. The absue was reported between 2007 and 2012. Azzaro was charged with first-degree sexual assault, third-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a child. He was released after posting a $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court next month.
Dept. of Labor offers advice after Farmington-based business abruptly closesFARMINGTON, CT (WFSB) -- After a Farmington business abruptly shuts its doors, leaving dozens without jobs, the Dept. of Labor is weighing in to explain what employees can do next. Ultimate Nutrition, a nutritional supplement company based in Farmington, shut down without a warning, leaving employees scrambling to find new jobs and make sure they get paid their wages. On Monday, <a href="" target="_blank">employees were stunned</a>. Tuesday, boxes and pallets were piled up inside the office where not a soul was present. “I would say thanks for 2-and-a-half years of employment and just let me have my stuff back,” Lee Steel, a former employee, said on Monday. Thomas Wydra, of the Connecticut Department of Labor, said employees are encouraged to file a claim with Wage and Workplace Standards. “They owe people a final paycheck. They owe all of their employees all the money that is due to them for the hours that they worked. They owe them for any vacation time or other paid leave that may be owed to them,” said Wydra, director of Wage and Workplace Standards at the Dept. of Labor. That can be done in person or online at the <a href="" target="_blank">Connecticut Dept. of Labor’s</a> website, where they can file for recovery of wages. Wydra said they are also owed their personnel files which could be needed when they apply for another job. “Employers are required to maintain personnel files. They are required to maintain them at the employer site. So those personnel files for those employees who showed up to work and found no more work, are owed a copy of their personnel file. And that’s another law that we enforce here at the Department of Labor so that’s another claim that they should file with us,” Wydra said. Ultimate Nutrition is based in Farmington and has a distribution center in New Britain. It has been a well-known company in the nutritional supplement industry, selling protein powders and other body building supplements. “The supplement industry is extremely competitive nowadays, with thousands of companies offering similar products it is very difficult for many of these companies to stay afloat when they are competing with the likes of Amazon and Whole Foods,” said James Benefico, a Stamford native and founder of Organic Muscle, who weighed in on how the industry has changed since Ultimate Nutrition opened in 1978. It is unknown if growing competition is what is behind this sudden closure, but it certainly remains a possibility. In the meantime. for the employees left in the lurch, it is not only the loss of jobs that hurts, but the loss of relationships. The Dept. of Labor also said they have counseling and job seeking services available to employees, and they say, if employees have personal property inside the building they can’t get back, they should contact local police.
Public hearing held after complaints filed against CT Port Authority for misuse of fundsHARTFORD, CT (WFSB) – Questions were raised at a public hearing on Tuesday about mismanagement and misuse of funds by the Connecticut Port Authority. The Port Authority has come under fire recently, the first after an audit found a lack of financial controls. Then, a whistle blower complaint and media reports about misuse of funds. Several top officials have stepped down or are on leave, and on Tuesday, lawmakers held a hearing on the issue. The Port Authority was created in 2014 to manage ports in New London, New Haven, and Bridgeport, but controversy began earlier this year when state auditors reported they found a lack of financial controls. They also found the Port Authority didn’t have adequate records for bank accounts. The Port Authority is the latest of the quasi-public agencies to find itself in controversy, but it’s not alone. The Connecticut Lottery, for example, has also been experiencing problems. While the hearing was technically about the Port Authority, some lawmakers say it’s time for more oversight of all the quasi-public agencies. “I think there should be more oversight, we just need to know what that is," said Themis Kalrides, House Minority Leader. During the hearing, three top officials from the Port Authority declined lawmakers’ requests to attend. Members of the Transportation Committee were hoping to find out what changes are needed to address questions about how the authority spends its money. Instead, acting chairman David Kooris attended the hearing. He joined the Board of Directors in July after Bonnie Reemsnyder resigned. “We want to make clear that we’re taking this very seriously. We’re getting involved at the senior levels of the Lamont administration,” Kooris said. The Port Authority has also placed executive director Evan Matthews on administrative leave. Earlier this month, former chairman Scott Bates resigned from the board. The most recent incident came when a whistle blower complained to auditors about a misuse of funds. Media reports have detailed expenditures that benefit people associated with Bates and Reemsnyder. “The first thing we said to them is that there are rules and regulations that they have to follow in regard to state laws, and they need to follow them,” said Paul Mounds, Chief Operating Officers of Lamont administration. Other quasi-public agencies include that Airport Authority, Lottery Corporation, and Connecticut Regional Development Authority. The CRDA manages the XL Center and Rentschler Field in East Hartford. These agencies have more freedom than other state agencies, but the Port Authority is not alone in controversy. The Department of Consumer Protection is <a href="" target="_blank">investigating the Lottery Corporation</a> after a former employee complained to the FBI. As spokeswoman for the DCP said, “We are working hard to complete our investigation in a thorough, timely manner. The Connecticut Lottery Corporation does have a responsibility to report suspicious of staff misconduct, or issues with lottery games to DCP’s Gaming Division, and as regulators, we expect that responsibility to be taken seriously.” The DCP launched a separate investigation in 2016 after several retailers were rigging lottery games. Lawmakers have questioned how the Lottery Corporation handled that problem. Now, they want the legislature to look at more oversight for all quasi-public agencies. “I think it’s absolutely what we’re going to need to do going forward right now,” said Senator Henri Martin. On thing the Lamont administration has already done is work on better communication, so the quasi-public agencies can share best practices. Lawmakers say they expect to address these issues during the next session.
Report: Former Yale professor sexually assaulted 5 students, harassed at least 8 othersNEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -- A recent report conducted shows a now retired Yale University professor allegedly sexually assaulted, and sexually harassed several students over the course of a number of years. The report looked into allegations made against former Yale School of Medicine professor Dr. D. Eugene Redmond. He was on the faculty of YSM in the Psychiatry and Neurosurgery departments for 44 years, from 1974 until his retirement in July of 2018. In March of 2018, an undergraduate filed a formal complaint against Redmond, that alleged sexual misconduct at his research facility in St. Kitts. During an internal investigation, it was found that a group of Yale students made similar complaints against Redmond in 1994. In January of this year, a third person came forward and reported that Redmond sexually abused him when he was a Yale undergraduate working in St. Kitts. A third-party investigation was conducted, where 110 witnesses were interviewed, including 38 current and former students. Also, 34 Yale professors and administrators were interviewed. Redmond declined being interviewed, unless names of students who made allegations against him, and notes from those interviews were made available. Based on the investigation, the third-party concluded that Redmond sexually assaulted five students in St. Kitts while he was a Yale professor. The assaults happened on five separate occasions, “when he initiated and engaged in nonconsensual sexual contact with each student,” the report said. The report goes on to say Redmond also “committed other acts of sexual misconduct involving at least eight other undergraduates or recent graduates and one high school student in St. Kitts, New Haven, and other locations.” Redmond retired in 2018 and has been banned from campus. He has denied the allegations. Read the full report <a href="" target="_blank">here</a>. Yale released a statement on Tuesday afternoon, which can be read <a href="" target="_blank">here</a>.
CT man accused of killing Caribbean resort worker says he's getting threatsNEW YORK, NY (WFSB) - A man from Connecticut who is accused of killing a resort worker in the eastern Caribbean island of Anguilla discussed his case with the media on Tuesday. Scott Hapgood and his attorney, Juliya Arbisman, planned a news conference for Tuesday at 1:15 p.m. in New York City. During the news conference, Hapgood said he's getting threats to his safety. "I know that I, my family, were victims here. The truth will come out and I look forward to that," Hapgood said. According to the Royal Anguilla Police Force, Hapgood, 44, faces a manslaughter charge in connection with the death of 27-year-old Kenny Mitchel, a Dominican national and maintenance worker at the Malliouhana resort. Hapgood <a href="" target="_blank">was vacationing with his family at the British territory resort</a> back in April when it happened. At the time, a representative for Hapgood said the killing was self defense. Autopsy results showed that Mitchel died from "prone restraint and positional asphyxia." A spokeswoman for Hapgood said Mitchel "…showed up unannounced in uniform at the hotel room around 4 p.m., claiming he was there to fix a broken sink before carrying out his sudden, violent attack." They said he "was armed and demanding money." Hapgood was charged with manslaughter and released from jail on a $74,000 bond. As a condition of his release, Hapgood is required to return to the island three times this week but his lawyer says it may not be safe for him to return. Hapgood's family says he was stabbed, bitten several times, and sustained "many" bruises over his arms and chest. "Since that day we've been living a nightmare that has gradually become our reality,” Hapgood said. A toxicology report released by the island's attorney general also shows Mitchel had cocaine, cannabis, and other drugs in his system. It shows his blood alcohol content was more than two times the legal limit in the U.S. Hapgood is due back in court for a hearing Thursday. This case is raising awareness about what can happen if you get arrested overseas and what you should do. According to the U.S. state department, you should contact the closest U.S. Embassy or consulate and let them know about the arrest. They can help find a local attorney who speaks English and give you an overview of the country's legal process. The state department cannot get U.S. citizens out of jail in foreign countries. The agency also suggests making sure you know the local laws where you are travelling and follow them. For information on what happens if a person is arrested or detained overseas, <a href="" target="_blank">click here</a>.