Latest Sports

WFSB - Eyewitness News

Thanksgiving Day football game rescheduled due to recent conflictNORWICH, CT (WFSB) -- A Thanksgiving Day football game in southeastern Connecticut has being rescheduled. The game between New London and Norwich Free Academy will now be held on Wednesday, Nov. 27, at 1 p.m. in Norwich. It was initially going to be held at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday but that time was changed shortly after. According to a press release, the date change is due to "recent conflict between citizens from both cities." While the Norwich and New London police departments recommended that the game be rescheduled, the ultimate decision was made by Norwich Free Academy. “We realize there may be some who are inconvenienced by the change, but we strongly uphold our commitment to the safety of our citizens,” Norwich police said in a press release. At this time, there have been no specific threats made about Norwich Free Academy, the Thanksgiving Day game, athletes, faculty, or students. There will be enhanced security measures in place as a precaution.
Stamford man accused of murdering 93-year-old womanSTAMFORD, CT (WFSB) -- A Stamford man is facing charges in the murder of a 93-year-old woman. Police have arrested 51-year-old Robert Simmons and charged him with murder, felony murder, and home invasion. His arrest comes following the <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/news/year-old-woman-s-death-investigated-as-a-homicide/article_502cf06e-e09e-11e9-8b0e-ef2e65798ca3.html" target="_blank">death of Isabella Mehner</a>, of Stamford. On Sept. 25, Mehner was found at the bottom of a staircase in her home on Cove Road. According to the medical examiner, Mehner’s injuries were not consistent with a fall down the stairs, therefore her death was investigated as a homicide. An investigation led police to identify Simmons as a suspect. Police also determined this was not a random act of violence. Simmons had been hired in the past to perform some odd jobs around the house. He's now being held on a $2 million bond.
Witness: Ukraine pressure was at Trump’s ‘express direction’WASHINGTON (AP) — Ambassador Gordon Sondland told House impeachment investigators Wednesday that he worked with Rudy Giuliani on Ukraine at the “express direction” of President Donald Trump and pushed a “quid pro quo” with Kyiv because it was what Trump wanted. “Mr. Giuliani was expressing the desires of the president of the United States, and we knew that these investigations were important to the president,” <a href="https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6554359-Gordon-Sondland-Opening-Statement.html" target="&mdash;blank">Sondland testified</a> of his dealings with Trump’s personal attorney. Sondland, the most highly anticipated witness in <a href="https://apnews.com/Trumpimpeachmentinquiry" target="&mdash;blank">the public impeachment probe</a>, made clear that he believed Trump was pursuing his desire for investigations in return for the Oval Office meeting that the Eastern European nation’s president sought. Sondland said he later came to believe military aid for Ukraine was also being held up until the investigations were launched. Sondland described how demands became more serious with more conditions on any potential Ukraine meeting at the White House. “As time went on, more specific items got added to the menu -- specially Burisma and 2016 meddling,” he said, referring to the gas company where Joe Biden’s son Hunter served on the board. And, he added, “the server,” the hacked Democratic computer system. “I know that members of this committee have frequently framed these complicated issues in the form of a simple question: Was there a ‘quid pro quo?’ As I testified previously, with regard to the requested White House call and White House meeting, the answer is yes,” he said. Sondland said he didn’t know at the time that Burisma was linked to the Bidens, but has since come to understand that. “We had been hearing about it from Rudy and presumed Rudy was getting it from the president.” The impeachment inquiry focuses significantly on allegations that Trump sought investigations of Democrat Joe Biden and his son — and the discredited idea that Ukraine rather than Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. election — in return for the badly needed military aid as well as the White House visit. Sondland, a wealthy hotelier and Trump donor, has emerged as a central figure in an intense week in the impeachment prone that has featured nine witnesses testifying over three days. Both Democrats and Republicans were uncertain about what Sondland would testify to, given that he had already clarified parts of his initial private deposition before lawmakers. His opening statement included several key details. He confirmed that he spoke with Trump on a cellphone from a busy Kyiv restaurant the day after the president prodded Ukraine’s leader to investigate political rival Joe Biden. He also said he kept Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and other top administration officials aware of his dealings with Ukraine on the investigations Trump sought. Sondland said he specifically told Vice President Mike Pence he “had concerns” that U.S. military aid to Ukraine “had become tied” to the investigations. “Everyone was in the loop,” Sondland testified in opening remarks. “It was no secret.” Sondland appeared prepared to fend off scrutiny over the way his testimony has shifted in closed-door settings, saying “my memory has not been perfect.” He said the State Department left him without access to emails, call records and other documents he needed in the inquiry. Still, he did produce new emails and text messages to bolster his assertion that others in the administration were aware of the investigations he was pursuing for Trump from Ukraine. Sondland insisted, twice, that he was “adamantly opposed to any suspension of aid” for Ukraine. “I was acting in good faith. As a presidential appointee, I followed the directions of the president.” The son of immigrants who he said escaped Europe during the Holocaust, Sondland described himself as a “lifelong Republican” who has worked with officials from both parties, including Biden. Dubbed one of the “three amigos” pursuing Ukraine policy, Sondland is disputing that they were running some “rogue “ operation outside official U.S. policy. He produced emails and texts showing he, former special envoy Kurt Volker and Energy Secretary Rick Perry kept Pompeo and others apprised of their activity. One message from Volker said, “Spoke w Rudy per guidance from S.” He said, “S means the secretary of state.” He said the State Department “was aware that a commitment to investigations was among the issues we were pursuing.” Democratic Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff of California opened the hearing saying, “The knowledge of this scheme was far and wide.” Schiff warned Pompeo and other administration officials who are refusing to turn over documents and testimony to the committee “they do so at their own peril.” He said obstruction of Congress was included in articles of impeachment during Watergate. The top Republican on the committee, Devin Nunes of California, decried the inquiry and told the ambassador, "Mr. Sondland, you are here to be smeared." Nunes renewed his demand to hear from the still-anonymous whistleblower whose complaint about Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy led the House to open the impeachment inquiry. ———— Associated Press writer Colleen Long, Laurie Kellman and Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.
Mandatory curfews implemented at two CT mallsMANCHESTER, CT (WFSB) -- Two local shopping malls are implementing mandatory curfews this holiday season. Starting Nov. 28 and running through Dec. 21, anyone under the age of 18 must be with an adult after 5 p.m. at Brass Mill Center in Waterbury and the Shoppes at Buckland Hills in Manchester. The curfew will be in effect every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during that time frame. Then, starting on Thursday Dec. 26, adult supervision will be required every day through Dec. 30, beginning at 1 p.m. According to Brass Mill Center General Manager Bill DeMaio, the curfew program “is an extra measure to ensure safety and establish a family-friendly environment for guests enjoy our shopping, entertainment and dining venues throughout the holidays.” During the curfew hours, public safety officers will be stationed at all mall entrances to check identifications of visitors who appear to be 17 years old or younger. “In an effort to eliminate disruptive behavior by unsupervised youth and create a family-friendly atmosphere, we made the decision to implement a curfew program for the holiday season, said Virginia Pepe, general manager of The Shoppes at Buckland Hills. “All are welcome at The Shoppes at Buckland Hills and at all times. We simply require that young guests have adult supervision during certain hours through the duration of the busy holiday shopping season.” One adult may accompany up to four individuals between 11 and 17 years old. There is no limitation for the number of children age 10 and under. The adults must remain with children through the duration of the shopping experience.
CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Man pulls driver from burning car in StaffordSTAFFORD, CT (WFSB) - A man is being hailed a hero for rescuing a driver from a burning car in Stafford. The Stafford Fire Department released video of the act on Wednesday. It said it happened around 6:50 p.m. on Nov. 1. Firefighters reported that Edward Cyr was out to dinner with his wife when he saw the fire. "Without regard for his own safety, he pulled the driver from a burning car which just exploded as he turned the corner," said Chief David Lucia, Stafford Fire Department. Cyr brought Glennwood Little to safety. The rescue was captured on a surveillance camera that was positioned on Town Hall. "Mr. Cyr, you are a hero," Lucia said.
3 THINGS: Wolcott body, tolls plan, sergeant's job in jeopardyPolice in Wolcott work to identify a body while police in Waterbury search for a missing woman, lawmakers want to continue the discussion about lessening the impact of a tolls plan and a state police sergeant could lose his job after being arrested for a crash. Plus Scot Haney the turkey collects turkeys for a good cause. Those are 3 things you need to know and 1 you don't for Nov. 20.
Here comes Taco Bell's answer to the chicken sandwich warsHave we reached <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/business/mcdonalds-popeyes-chick-fil-a-chicken-sandwich/index.html" target="_blank">crispy chicken sandwich fatigue yet</a>? Because <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/business/free-taco-bell-taco-nationals-trea-turner-trnd/index.html" target="_blank">Taco Bell wants in</a>, even though its entry into the fast food wars isn't really a sandwich at all. The house of <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/us/free-taco-bell-doritos-locos-tacos-trnd/index.html" target="_blank">Doritos Locos Tacos</a> and the mystifying Crunchwrap Supreme is scaling back the theatrics with Crispy Tortilla Chicken -- aka, chicken strips breaded with jalapeno buttermilk and tortilla chips. By <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/17/us/taco-bell-thanksgiving-bisque-recipe-trnd/index.html" target="_blank">Taco Bell standards</a>, this dish might even be considered pedestrian. Notably one of the few menu items without "supreme" in the title, the strips can be enjoyed rolled up in a soft taco or dunked heartily into some dip, the chain says. You won't find any buttered brioche buns at this establishment. The spicy strips may not pose an immediate threat to <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/03/us/popeyes-chicken-sandwich-twitter-trnd/index.html" target="_blank">Popeyes' now legendary chicken sandwich</a>. They're rolling out at Taco Bells in Dayton, Ohio, and Houston before declaring worldwide domination. Will Crispy Tortilla Chicken inspire the <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/business/popeyes-chicken-sandwich/index.html" target="_blank">same fanfare as its chicken sandwich competitors</a>? It's too soon to say. But with a starting price of $1.99 for the taco version, at least any long waits in line won't cost much.
Suspicious person prompts security measures at school in MonroeMONROE, CT (WFSB) - Some security measures were taken at a school in Monroe following a report of a suspicious person. According to the Monroe Police Department, the individual was spotted near Masuk High School on Wednesday morning. "The police intervened and the person fled," the department posted to Facebook. "We are searching for this person in the area outside of Masuk." The students are said to be safe and the school is in a "controlled movement" mode, which means all exterior doors are locked. The school was initially put into lockdown, police said. "We are in close communication with the school and will provide more more information as it becomes available," police wrote. "Again, all students are safe." No other details about the person were released.
Site ranks best, worst stores for Black Friday based off their advertisements(WFSB) - A personal finance website released its list of the best and worst stores for Black Friday. WalletHub said it surveyed 8,000 deals from 29 of the biggest U.S. retailers' Black Friday advertisements. Categories included deals in appliances, jewelry and toys. Here are the best Black Friday retailers ranked by their average percentage of discounts: Stage (69.83%)Belk (66.92%)Bealls Florida (62.56%)JCPenney (60.97%)Kohl's (57.10%)New York &amp; Company (56.27%)Dick's Sporting Goods (52.27%)Kmart (51.84%)Sears (49.25%)Fred Meyer (47.14%) WalletHub noted that Stage boasted the highest overall discount rate at 69.83 percent. The businesses offering the lowest discount percentages ranked as follows: Ace Hardware (11.8%)True Value (20.8%)Costco (21.3%)Harbor Freight (22.8%)Amazon (25.4%)Big Lots (27.9%)Dell Home (28.6%)Best Buy (29.5%)Academy Sports + Outdoors (31.8%)Target (34.3%) Ace Hardware had the lowest at 11.77 percent. Some stores released their Black Friday deals early. Channel 3 compiled a list that can be viewed <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/news/stores-post-black-friday-deals-early/article_85e446a4-0000-11ea-a79d-b7d4b51ca5b5.html" target="_blank">here</a>. See the complete list <a href="https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-retailers-for-black-friday/8385/" target="_blank">here</a>.
Foodshare hosts 'Turkey Trot' to collect food for the holidaysSIMSBURY, CT (WFSB) -- Many people need a helping hand to get by and now is the time to give back with the holidays coming up. Foodshare is hosting the Jack Bannan Memorial Turkey Trot to collect food for those in need at Stop &amp; Shop in Simsbury, and several other locations. Jason Jakubowski announced back on Nov. 7 that <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/3cares/foodshare-in-need-of-more-than-turkeys-this-year/article_cd1fecae-0158-11ea-8c60-b3c065e5c872.html" target="_blank">the organization needed 15,059 turkeys and $451,770 this year</a>. The event is being held on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the following locations in Connecticut: Avon -- Big Y and Miller FoodsBloomfield -- Geissler's SupermarketCanton -- Shop RiteGranby -- Geissler's SupermarketSimsbury -- Stop &amp; Shop, Fitzgerald's Food, and Kane's Market Channel 3's Scot Haney helped bring in some turkeys at the Simsbury Stop &amp; Shop from 4:30 a.m. to 7 a.m. Turkeys, money donations, and non-perishable items are accepted and can be dropped off at any of the locations. Credit cards are accepted and checks can be made out to Foodshare with the notation, "Jack Bannan Turkey Trot" in the memo section. More information on Foodshare's drive, including how to donate online, can be found on its website <a href="http://site.foodshare.org/site/TR?fr_id=1430&amp;pg=entry" target="_blank">here</a>.