WFSB - Eyewitness News

Bridgeport Police investigating shotingBRIDGEPORT (WFSB) - Police are investigating after 2 people were shot Friday night. According to police, officers were called to the scene in the 200 block of George Street. Police said there is no word on injuries at this point. Both were transported to an area hospital. Stay with Eyewitness News for more information as soon as it comes into the newsroom.
Man arrested for threatening hotel workerOLD SAYBROOK (WFSB) - Police arrested a man who threatened a hotel worker before leading police on a chase through 3 towns. Police say officers responded to the Super 8 Hotel on Spencer Plains after Matthew Bromson of Granby showed a knife and threatened to stab a hotel clerk in the throat. Bromson then led police on a pursuit from Old Saybrook through Westbrook and into Essex. Bromson was eventually apprehended by Old Saybrook officers. Police said no one was injured during the incidents. Bromson was previously arrested in 2016 outside of Gillette Stadium in Foxborough MA., with a large cache of weapons.
East Haven man arrested for allegedly stabbing acquaintance in throatEAST HAVEN, CT (WFSB) – A man was arrested after stabbing another man during an argument in East Haven Friday morning. Police responded to a home on Old Foxon Road just before 3 a.m. for the report of a stabbing. When officers arrived, they found a male victim that had been stabbed in the neck. The victim told police he was stabbed by an acquaintance, later identified as Jason Taylor, who was no longer on the scene. The victim was suffering from a 3-inch stab wound to his neck and was brought to Yale-New Haven Hospital. According to police, the victim told officers the two men were on Russo Avenue smoking crack cocaine before the attack. The victim said Taylor walked up behind him and slashed his neck with a steak knife for no reason. He said the attack was unprovoked, and Taylor fled the scene after the stabbing. Taylor called 911 after the attack and told dispatchers that he fled from the home and could be found on Eastern Street. He told officers that he fled the scene of the attack because after using drugs with the victim, the victim pulled a knife out on him and attempted to rob him. Taylor told officers that a fight ensued, and he tried to disarm the victim. During the fight, Taylor said he cut the victim “somewhere on the face.” Police arrested Taylor for second-degree assault and he was held on a $100,000 bond.
Boston Celtics star hosts free basketball camp in MilfordBoston Celtics star Enes Kanter hosted a free basketball camp in Milford.
Website helps parents, teachers buy school supplies online(WFSB) – Students and teachers are getting ready for the new school year. There’s a new website that’s making shopping for those getting school supplies, a walk in the park. With a few easy clicks, parents and teachers can buy one or many items on their shopping list from some of the major retailers in the country. According to the PTO Today, the website 'Teacher Lists' is one-stop-shopping for parents, teachers, and administrators on the go with no time to comb the aisles of stores. The list is a collection of back to school supply lists from around the country. There’s one section for parents and another for school staff. “It’s free to the parents. It’s just a more efficient way for them to pick up those items that teachers request,” said Charles Field. Parents can enter their zip code on the website to find a list of supplies for their school. The website allows parents to buy from some of the major retailers like Walmart, Target, Staples and Office Depot. PTO Today says they collected about 1.7 million lists this year from the 2 million classrooms around the country. If you would like to buy from Teacher Lists, click <a href="https://www.teacherlists.com/" target="_blank">here</a>.
Missing Meriden mom's body found in WaterburyMERIDEN, CT (WFSB) - Meriden police confirmed on Friday that the body found in Waterbury earlier this week belongs to missing mother Perrie Mason. Police released new information about the case involving the 31-year-old, who was reported missing on Monday. However, police said she <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/news/meriden-police-seek-missing-woman/article_b6ee9ba0-c298-11e9-bbf5-7f53e7b880ef.html?fbclid=IwAR3YNG-u3P28HKfRwX9OohuDzxT6b81puChQRQ0vT8jT5POr_tEurfaJ9i8" target="_blank">disappeared on Saturday</a>. “The children have no family whatsoever here. They moved here with their mother, just the three of them to get a fresh start," said Mason's sister Vao Horlback. Mason's fiance, Jason Watson, was charged with assault and strangulation earlier this week, but so far has not been named a suspect in the case of her death. Mason reportedly made two 911 calls on Saturday. Since then, her phone was shut off. This past week, detectives have been searching <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/news/search-for-missing-meriden-woman-moves-to-waterbury-human-remains/article_09668fa0-c3f2-11e9-a8af-83b48e065e6d.html" target="_blank">the Bay State Textiles business</a> and surrounding woods on Brookside Road in Waterbury in connection to the case. Investigators were seen removing bags and searching the woods. Watson works there as a driver. On Wednesday night, police said a body was found in Waterbury. Police in Meriden spent a good deal of Thursday afternoon and night going through the backyard and a vehicle parked in front of the home Mason and Watson shared. Detectives focused on the back seat. They were also seen sifting through papers found in the car. <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/news/state-police-return-to-home-of-missing-meriden-mom/article_ae77c94c-c4d7-11e9-b739-6b3a6f8ef462.html" target="_blank">Late Thursday night</a>, police impounded the vehicle. Channel 3 recorded exclusive video. “It's very important that we come to a successful conclusion to this. We want to make sure we did this investigation properly and make sure we’re respectful of their needs as well and they’re very upset," said Meriden Police Lt. John Mennone. Mason's two boys, ages 11 and 12, are in the care of the Department of Children and Families. Mason's sister is attempting to gain custody. “They’ve been ripped from their home, they’ve been through a trauma. They don’t know anything other than that their mother is missing and she’s no longer coming home," Horlback said. Horlback is from Georgia, and said she will stay in Connecticut until she gets custody of the boys. Stay with Channel 3 for continuing coverage.
Man at center of boat insurance claim stands trial for second dayPROVIDENCE, RI (WFSB) -- Nathan Carman was on the stand for the second straight day in the trial over his boat insurance policy on Friday. Carman was rescued off the coast of Massachusetts in September 2016. His mother, Linda, was also on the boat but hasn't been seen since. On Friday, Nathan Carman defended his account of his boat sinking, and talk about his seven days at sea. He also explained why he never called for help, saying he thought it was unlikely that his boat was going to sink, even after he heard a noise and shut off his engine. Instead of calling for help, Carman said he started moving emergency supplies to the front of the boat, saying “my thinking was there's a problem. We need to first be on the safe side and then diagnose the problem," he said. He also estimates the boat sank within three to five minutes. Suddenly in the water, Carman says he swam to his life raft, but his mom was nowhere to be seen or heard. She hasn't been seen since. On Thursday, the attorney for Boat U.S. David Farrell asked how Carman could lose track of his mother. “She didn't say anything to you when the boat sank? She didn't scream?” Farrell asked. He even questioned if she was on the boat when it sank, causing Nathan Carman to become tense. He responded “yes. I told you she was on the boat. I asked her to reel in the lines.” On Friday, under cross examination from his own attorney, Carman defended his actions. He said his mother often panics under stress and said he asked her to reel in fishing lines to keep her busy while he figured out what went wrong. He then said he spent much of that first day at sea trying to find his mother. By nightfall, he shifted his focus. “The only way I could be a benefit to my mom after nightfall on the first day was to take care of myself," he said, adding he wanted to help a crew rescue her. Also on Friday, two experts challenged Carman's claim that he was at sea for a week. He was rescued by the Orient Lucky on Sept. 25, 2016, more than 100 miles off the shore of Massachusetts. He says he departed from Rhode Island. One expert said he couldn't have drift from those two locations. The other expert said he should have had hypothermia when rescued but showed no signs. Boat U.S. rejected Carman's claim, saying he failed to disclose changes that made his boat unseaworthy. However, his lawyer says the boat was in poor shape when he bought it.
Friends remember postal worker killed during deadly crashENFIELD, CT (WFSB) - Grief counselors were on hand on Friday for postal workers following a fiery crash. Daniel Nacin, 59, of Enfield, was driving a United States Postal Service truck <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/news/victims-of-crash-involving-mail-truck-on-ct-ma-border/article_64a3cc5e-c4f4-11e9-bc6f-33c1764c1df1.html" target="_blank">on Route 5 in Longmeadow, MA Thursday</a>, police said. David Cersosimo, 47, of Rocky Hill, was trying to get away from Enfield police on Thursday when he slammed into Nacin's delivery truck around 11 a.m., officers said. Both men were killed. "So I just went out in our yard and we saw two cars collided, one up in flames. It’s scary it really is," said Gabriel Roy, an eyewitness. "Pieces of mail went everywhere and the mail and the mail truck disintegrated." Nacin was said to have been an employee of the USPS for 40 years. Investigators said Cersosimo was intoxicated while he was speeding away from police. Eyewitnesses reported that he ran a red light before hitting Nacin's truck. A memorial was set up with balloons and flowers at the scene of the crash. "It's rough. I can only imagine the kids, Tina, they're great people," said Kevin Stuart, Nacin's neighbor. Stuart has lived next to Nacin for the past 16 years. "He volunteered to do an extra route, it wasn't hit and I just can't imagine any of this, and I feel sorry for everyone involved," Stuart said. Stuart said Nacin leaves behind a wife and at least one son. This tragedy has sparked a debate about police chases. Many want to know when they're acceptable and what's the protocol, especially when it crosses state lines. "If you're chasing a known felon, a serious dangerous felon, you're chasing until you catch him," said Lt. Paul Vance. Channel 3 law enforcement analyst Retired State Police Lt. Paul Vance says making the decision to chase a car has to be made fast. In this case, Cersosimo was not a felon. In fact, he had no criminal history. "Is it prudent to let that individual go and that individual is involved in a crash further down the road and harms and kills people, or it better to try to apprehend and stop that person," Lt. Vance said. Lt. Vance says there are statewide guidelines when it comes to police chases and in this case he says its complicated. "You weigh the good against the bad, weigh the danger against the public, against the danger of the pursuit," Lt. Vance said. Lt. Vance says an internal investigation is likely happening to see if state regulations were followed.
New foods previewed at The Big EWEST SPRINGFIELD, MA (WFSB) – The summer season means it’s also fair season. The New England staple, The Big E, returns in a few weeks. On Friday, members of the media were able to get a sneak-peek of the foods being offered this year. The Big E draws more than 1 million people to its fairgrounds in West Springfield. The staggering attendance number only means there’ll be mouths craving and thirsting for something yummy. “This is what we’re calling and introducing this year, the BBQ Split. It has pulled pork, beef brisket, garlic mashed potato, coleslaw, couple of St. Louis’ ribs,” said Vito Marotta, Porky’s Concessions. You can also flood your palate with a chicken, bacon, and cheese chomper, served with buffalo ranch dipping sauce. There’s New England Chowder and also Cheeseberg Chowder complete with beef, onions, potatoes, in a cream-based sauce with other secret ingredients that can’t be shared. If you’re looking for something light, head to Noujaim’s Bistro. “We have spanakopita, it’s especially made for fair food with olive oil, it’s very healthy, natural and fun to eat,” said George Noujaim, Noujaim’s Bistro. The eatery will also offer Falafels and hummus, boldly called “The Best Hummus Ever”. To see pictures of the news foods at The Big E, click <a href="https://www.wfsb.com/news/preview-of-new-food-at-the-big-e/collection_2aecc7c8-c5c0-11e9-80ca-73a461fa1162.html" target="_blank">here</a>. Moving on to sweet treats, The Big E Bakery returns with their famous cream puffs. New this year, thanks to people creating a secret menu, it’s now whipping up chocolate ganache cream puffs. Make sure you don’t let Chocolate Moonshine’s bar melt all over your hands with flavors like coconut, apple pie, and smoked whiskey. There’s also a delicious deep-fried pineapple upside down cake. “it’s got a yummy caramel drizzle, a little bit of powdered sugar. It’s going to come hot out of the fryer,” said April Taylor. Stella’s Milk and Cookies borrows a winter staple. They’ve created a frozen hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and other toppings of your choice. At the Big E this year, one thing is for sure. People should bring their appetites. The Big E starts September 13. For more information, click <a href="https://www.thebige.com/" target="_blank">here</a>.
Markets tumble on growing tariffs rift between US, ChinaWASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump declared Friday that he had "hereby ordered" American companies "to immediately start looking" for alternatives to operating in China, hours after Beijing announced new trade sanctions on U.S. products. But as markets in the U.S., Asia and Europe tumbled, the White House offered no further details or explanation of Trump's intentions. Instead, the president tweeted that he would be "responding to China's Tariffs this afternoon." "This is a GREAT opportunity for the United States" he wrote. The rising tensions between the world's two biggest economies unnerved investors already on edge about the deteriorating world economy. By early afternoon Friday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average has dropped more than 485 points. At the close of the market, the Dow dropped 623 points. "There doesn't seem to be a floor under the spiraling down of the relationship, and world markets are reacting negatively to a business climate beset by uncertainty and risk," said Douglas Barry, spokesman for the U.S.-China Business Council. "It's unclear what the strategy is or if there is a strategy." The U.S. has said it plans to impose 10% tariffs on $300 billion of Chinese goods in two steps, on Sept. 1 and Dec. 15. China responded Friday with new tariffs of 5% and 10% on $75 billion of U.S. products in retaliation, deepening a conflict over trade and technology that threatens to tip a weakening global economy into recession. Like Trump's, the Chinese tariffs will be imposed in two batches — first on Sept. 1 and then on Dec. 15. China will also go ahead with previously postponed import duties on U.S.-made autos and auto parts, the Finance Ministry announced. On Friday, Trump tweeted, "Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing... your companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China's Tariffs this afternoon." The White House did not immediately respond to questions about what authority the president believes he has to order private companies to change their business practices. And it remained unclear hours after his tweets exactly what he had in mind. David French, senior vice president of government relations at the National Retail Federation, said it was "unrealistic for American retailers to move out of the world's second largest economy ... Our presence in China allows us to reach Chinese customers and develop overseas markets." Trump was meeting Friday with his trade advisers, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. They were discussing various potential options, including the possibility of imposing a 25% tariff on all Chinese exports to America, one of the people said. They spoke to AP on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to disclose details of closed-door meetings. Peter Navarro, who advises Trump on trade policy, tried to downplay the impact of Chinese tariff hikes ahead of the meeting. He said they were "well anticipated" and would only strengthen Trump's resolve. The announcement comes as leaders of the Group of 7 major economies prepare to meet in France this weekend. The United States has been locked in a trade war with China for 13 months, rattling financial markets, disrupting international trade and weakening prospects for worldwide economic growth. Washington accuses China of using predatory tactics — including outright theft of U.S. trade secrets — in an aggressive drive to turn itself into a world leader in cutting-edge technologies such as artificial intelligence and electric cars. Twelve rounds of talks have failed to break the impasse, though more negotiations are expected next month. Chinese leaders have offered to alter details of their policies but are resisting any deal that would require them to give up their aspirations to become a technological powerhouse. The two countries are also deadlocked over how to enforce any agreement. China's announced tariff hikes — and Trump's response — is the latest sign that both countries are digging in. "China is signaling yet again that it has no intention of backing off from the trade war, further reducing the likelihood of the U.S. and China agreeing on any sort of trade deal in the coming months," said Cornell University economist Eswar Prasad, former head of the China division at the International Monetary Fund. The Chinese said tariffs of 25% and 5% would be imposed on U.S.-made autos and auto parts on Dec. 15. Beijing had planned those tariff hikes last year but temporarily dropped them to keep the talks going. BMW, Tesla, Ford and Mercedes Benz are likely to be the hardest hit by the Chinese auto tariffs. In 2018, BMW exported about 87,000 luxury SUVs to China from a plant near Spartanburg, S.C. It exports more vehicles to China than any other U.S. auto plant. Together, Ford, BMW, Mercedes and others exported about 164,000 vehicles to China from the U.S. in 2018, according to the Center for Automotive Research, a think tank in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Most of them are luxury cars and SUVs with higher profit margins that can cover higher U.S. wages. The exports are down from about 262,000 in 2017. Tesla, which is building a plant in China, last year got about 12% of its revenue by exporting about 14,300 electric cars and SUVs from California to China, according to Barclays. Most of Ford's exports are from the Lincoln luxury brand, but most of the vehicles it sells in China are made in joint venture factories. Trump already has imposed 25% tariffs on $250 billion of Chinese products. Beijing retaliated by imposing its own penalties on $110 billion of American goods. But their lopsided trade balance meant China was running out of imports for retaliation. ——— McDonald reported from Beijing. Associated Press writers Tom Krisher in Detroit and Kevin Freking and Deb Riechmann in Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.