Malloy Offers Money To Keep Public Affairs Network

HARTFORD, Conn. (CBS Connecticut and AP) – With word that Connecticut’s cable TV and online public affairs network plans to end its coverage of state government after severe budget cuts, Governor Dannel Malloy is offering executive branch dollars to help keep the Connecticut Network on the air.

Malloy wrote legislative leaders Friday, offering $400,000 to help fund CT-N, and suggested that the legislative and judicial branches should be able to find matching dollars within their existing budgets as well.

The chief executive of the Connecticut Television Network previously announced CT-N coverage will end 5 p.m. Friday. Paul Giguere, president and CEO of the Connecticut Public Affairs Network, which operates CT-N, blamed a “drastic reduction” in funding and an increasing effort by lawmakers to control the network’s coverage.

Lawmakers passed a budget this week that included a cut in funding to CT-N from $3.2 million to $1.6 million annually. Legislators previously said they needed to make cuts across state government to address the projected $3.5 billion budget deficit.

Giguere said the cut in funding “is simply unworkable.”

The network has provided coverage since 1999.

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

This site uses cookies, tokens, and other third party scripts to recognize visitors of our sites and services, remember your settings and privacy choices, and — depending on your settings and privacy choices — enable us and some key partners to collect information about you so that we can improve our services and deliver relevant ads.

By continuing to use our site or clicking Agree, you agree that CBS and our key partners may collect data and use cookies for personalized ads and other purposes, as described more fully in our privacy policy. You can change your settings at any time by clicking Manage Settings.