A barrel of hydrochloric acid was releasing gas today, in a utility building in Waterbury’s Fulton Park.

Waterbury Fire Chief David Martin says two park department employees noticed something was wrong with the barrel.

“Because it is an inhalation hazard, we had our hazmat crews suit up in level a suits, make and entry, and tighten the barrel down,” Martin said.

A contractor was called in, to secure the barrel and take it away.

The acid is used in pools.  Martin says about a half a gallon of the liquid in the barrel would be used in an entire swimming pool.  The barrel held about 15 gallons.

The city workers who found the barrel were checked out, but they are okay.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live