HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says three people in Connecticut have contracted a salmonella infection linked to turtles.
CDC officials said Tuesday that 37 people across 13 states became sick with infections stemming from contact with pet turtles. No deaths have been reported, but 16 people have been hospitalized.
The agency says the illnesses began to appear on March 1 and diagnoses continued until Aug. 3. Almost half of the 33 people interviewed by the CDC said they had come in contact with a turtle or its environment.
The CDC says the outbreak could continue.
CDC officials warn not to buy small turtles as pets or give them as gifts. Officials say all turtles can carry salmonella bacteria even if they look healthy and clean.
(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)