Report: Firefighter Had Drugs, Alcohol In His System

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) – A recently obtained state toxicology reports shows the Connecticut firefighter who died while battling a house fire in 2014 had alcoholand marijuana in his system.

The medical examiner’s office had determined 48-year-old Kevin Bell died of asphyxia in October 2014 because his tank ran out of air.

State safety investigators found the city had failed to properly maintain and test the air tanks Bell used.

None of the investigations launched after Bell’s death mentioned if the toxicology results had an affect on what took place during the fire.

Hartford Fire Marshal Roger Martin tells the Hartford Courant (http://cour.at/2rJ8yOl ) a seven-member panel that investigated Bell’s death and other problems within the fire department never received the toxicology results.

Bell’s family settled a lawsuit against the city for $350,000 in December.

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

At The Box Office
MLB Power Rankings
Win Red Sox Tickets With Player Of The Game!

Listen Live