Student Death Ruled An Accident

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ A medical examiner has ruled that accidental asphyxia was the cause of death of a Connecticut college student who died after choking on pancakes during an eating contest on campus.
The New York City chief medical examiner’s office released autopsy results Wednesday for Caitlin Nelson, a 20-year-old student from Clark,

New Jersey, who attended Sacred Heart University in Fairfield. The official cause of death was “asphyxia due to obstruction of airway by bolus of food.”

Nelson died at a hospital in New York on Sunday, three days after collapsing during a pancake-eating contest at the Catholic school. Nursing students and first-responders performed lifesaving measures at the scene and she was transported to a hospital in critical condition.

Her father, James, was a Port Authority police officer who died on 9/11.

 

(© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

At The Box Office
MLB Power Rankings

Listen Live