HARTFORD, Conn. (CBS Connecticut and AP) – A man who was sentenced as a teenager to life without parole for firing a gun into a group of teens, killing a 15-year-old student, has been re-sentenced to 28 years behind bars.
The Hartford Courant reports that the Hartford judge handed down the sentence to 28-year-old Anthony Allen on Tuesday. His lawyer says Allen will be eligible for parole in five or six years.
Allen’s resentencing comes after a 2012 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that determined life sentences without parole for juveniles are unconstitutional. State legislation in 2015 brought Connecticut in line with the ruling.
Prosecutors say the then-17-year-old Allen was convicted of murder in October 2005 for the shooting that killed Lorenzo Rowe earlier that year.
Allen’s lawyer told the judge Tuesday his client has changed.
(© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)