Mayor Withdraws Rock Cats Proposal — New Plan Later
(CBS Connecticut) –– Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra is withdrawing his stadium proposal from consideration at the city council, for now.
In a letter to the council, the mayor says he does not want to place additional tax burdens on Hartford property owners.
Segarra says he is seeking proposals form real estate developers and construction managers for a public-private partnership.
Previously, the mayor had asked the council to bond as much as $60-million for the stadium proposal.
There has been significant push-back from Hartford residents at city council meetings, and a public forum at the library recently.
Many residents say the money should not be spent on a privately-owned baseball team, or they say it should be spent on something else, like school repairs.
Segarra says he plans to bring the issue back to the council at a meeting August 11.