Local News

Hernandez Attorneys Seek To Subpoena Patriots

View Comments
NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA - AUGUST 22: Aaron Hernandez is escorted into the courtroom of the Attleboro District Court for his hearing on August 22, 2013 in North Attleboro, Massachusetts. Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge for the death of Odin Lloyd.

NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA – AUGUST 22: Aaron Hernandez is escorted into the courtroom of the Attleboro District Court for his hearing on August 22, 2013 in North Attleboro, Massachusetts. Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge for the death of Odin Lloyd.

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) _ Aaron Hernandez’s attorneys asked a judge on Tuesday to approve their subpoena to the New England Patriots for the team’s medical, psychological and other records on the former player.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the June 2013 shooting death of Odin Lloyd, whose body was found in North Attleboro near Hernandez’s home.

On Monday, a Bristol Superior Court judge set a July deadline for the team to respond to the defense’s earlier requests for the 2010-2013 records. But in a motion filed Tuesday, Hernandez’s attorneys said the records are potentially relevant to his circumstances and state of mind, and asked to have them within 30 days.

The Patriots did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The motion seeks records including, but not limited to, “psychological testing, medication records, X-rays, MRIs, CT scans, drug or alcohol abuse-related records, other medical records, physical therapy records, scouting reports, and investigative reports.”

The motion said the request “is not intended as a general `fishing’ expedition” but is essential to preparing for his trial, which may begin in October.

Hernandez, a tight end, was drafted by the Patriots out of the University of Florida in 2010. The team released him in June 2013 hours after he was arrested in the slaying of

Lloyd, a semi-professional football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s girlfriend.

Hernandez also pleaded not guilty last month in a separate case accusing him of killing two men in Boston in July 2012, about a month before he signed a five-year, $40 million contract extension.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 845 other followers