Because “The Future Is Bright…” Would Be Boring

View Comments
(Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

(Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

RAYDUNAWAY Ray Dunaway
Read More

First, some good news.  Apparently, there will be an “Honors Night” at Rhode Island’s Cole Middle School.  After receiving overwhelming push-back, school officials decided to reverse course and let the show go on.

At least at this point in time.  It’s possible that an injunction could be issued at the request of the Department of Justice asserting that the honoring of stand-out students is discriminatory.  After all, it’s about equality.  I’ll keep you posted

Moving on. This is the time of year when graduates are addressed and usually bored to death.  Platitudes about moving on into the next chapter of life abound.  The task of building a better world is placed on the graduate’s shoulders.  Blah blah blah.  That’s not to say that all speeches follow the same pattern.  Some speakers take a different tack.

Such as Secretary of State, John Kerry.

Last weekend, addressing graduates at Boston College, Kerry brought up the specter of “climate change”, The Secretary informed the honored that “recent reports, one from the UN, and one from retired U.S. military leaders (97 percent of them, maybe) warn us that, not just of the crippling consequences to come, but that some of them are already here”.   Mary Sunshine continued to list the consquences: starvation, droughts, more powerful storms and war.  And savagery.

Think he’s kidding? Not at all.

The Guardian, a British newspaper, last weekend linked the violence committed by Boko Haram to global warming (or climate change, or climate disruption- I’m not sure I remember).

Case closed!

And of course, he trotted out the “97 percent of the world’s scientists tell us this is urgent” meme.

Scary- if only it were true.

But it’s not.  Analysis of the survey reveals a different take.  It seems that of those whose work was surveyed, only 33 percent actually expressed a belief that mankind was responsible for warming, but even within that group, the degrees varied- from all of it, to some of it, to a little bit. But 97 percent of the 33 percent did attribute some human effect on the climate. The remaining 67 percent were not sure, or rejected the likelihood of human influence out entirely.

But Professor John Cook, the study’s author, refuses to release his data. But fortunately, someone working with him at the University of Queensland left the numbers online. Brandon Schollenberger, a mere blogger found the dataset, passed it around, and the questionable study was exposed. And for his efforts, Schollenberger has received a court order to “cease and desist”.

Interesting.

But if Kerry had known this, he couldn’t have bummed the graduates out.

“The future is bright”…boring.

“OMG! I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR GRADUATION PARTY- BECAUSE YOU’RE GONNA DIE OF STARVATION….AND THIRST… IN A HURRICANE….AFTER THEY DROP THE BOMB!”  Now that gets their attention.

And it’s good for business, To quote H.L. Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence eager clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins.”

What will be tomorrow’s predicted menace?

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 843 other followers