Home Destroyed In Hartford Fire, Everyone Safe Thanks To Heroic Efforts

A three-story, multi-family home at 190-192 Edgewood St. in Hartford is a total loss after a fire destroyed it early Wednesday morning, displacing 17 people – 13 children and four adults – across three families.

The blaze was accidental, caused by a space heater too close to bedding.

Fire Captain Helene Lynch says, “These three families lost everything and this close to the holidays, it really is heart-wrenching that they’ve lost everything.”

Efforts are being made to help the families out. In aiding in the rescue efforts was a 17-year-old girl who helped get her 7 brothers and sisters out, a 16-year-old boy who got his sister out and alerted the third floor residents to get out and a neighbor who carried a disabled woman across the street to safety.

Smoke alarms alerted everyone and had just been installed as part of Hartford’s Holiday Smoke Alarm program.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

Be Part of the Joe D & Gresh Fantasy Football League
Price Chopper Supermarkets Presents Retail Food Rescue Program

Listen Live