HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says the state of Connecticut will not abide by President Barack Obama’s request that states allow insurance companies to continue offering plans that don’t meet minimum levels of coverage required by the federal health insurance overhaul.
The Democrat said Friday that the solution the president offered last week for the millions of Americans facing policy cancellations “won’t work in Connecticut.”
Malloy said staff at the Department of Insurance and the state’s health care exchange, Access Health CT, will work with private insurance carriers to help anyone who is losing their plan.
Malloy has also asked Access Health CT to extend the deadline by one week, to Dec. 22, for people to sign up for coverage under the exchange and secure coverage by Jan. 1.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.