Blast Aboard Indian Submarine
By ASHOK SHARMA, Associated Press
NEW DELHI (AP) _ The Indian navy says the submarine crippled by an explosion and fire that killed at least some of the 18 sailors aboard had been damaged in another deadly blast in 2010, and had been brought back into service about six months ago.
The explosion Wednesday sent a huge fireball into the air and sent nearby sailors jumping into the sea in panic. It is shaping up to be another embarrassment for India’s military, which has been hit with a corruption scandal as it races to modernize its forces.
Defense Minister A.K. Antony said some sailors were killed gave but gave no other details.
The navy said that in 2010, one sailor died and two others were injured on the same sub in an explosion in the vessel’s battery compartment.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)