Winter storm warning: The National Weather Service has posted a Winter Storm Warning for parts of the state Wednesday morning through Thursday morning.  Stay with WTIC NewsTalk 1080 for the latest forecast, and for traffic problems resulting from the weather. Read More

Local News

Plea Deal Withdrawn Amid New Accusations

View Comments
Doug Wirth, George Harasz (Courtesy Glastonbury Police)

Doug Wirth, George Harasz (Courtesy Glastonbury Police)

Plea agreements were withdrawn Friday in the case of two Glastonbury men accused of sexually abusing some of the nine boys they had adopted. The judge said the new allegations,  more extreme than the previous child sexual assault accusations, had been made.

George Harasz and Douglas Wirth had previously pleaded no contest to felony charges of risk of injury to a minor in January after two of the boys accused one or both of the men of sexually assaulting them.  They would have gotten suspended sentences and probation, under an agreement with the states attorney.

“We have additional allegations that I and law enforcement are bound to investigate,” said Senior Assistant States Attorney  David Zagaja.

The judge indicated that the victim in the new accusations had suffered injuries inflicted by a weapon, had scars, and reported being raped.

Zagaja said in court that some of the younger children in the home are making additional statements to therapists, and that the therapists might come forward if the statements involve abuse.

Some of the boys in the home were biological brothers. Two of the biological brothers spoke to the judge.

One brother, Raymond, described being sexually abused in a shower by the two men.

He said he had marks on his body, and his rear end hurt.  He said he lied to people at school to hide the abuse, telling them he fell off his bicycle.

The other brother, Carlos said no abuse occurred.  He said his siblings were abused in other homes where they had previously been placed by the state Department of Children and Families.

Meanwhile, the judge grilled representatives of the state Department of Children and Families about why the new allegations were not reported within 12 hours, as required under state law.

A DCF lawyer said an agency worker thought the abuse had already been reported.

Speaking to the judge, state DCF Commissioner Joette Katz defended her agency, saying there have been so many allegations swirling around the children, that it is impossible for a social worker to know which allegations are in an arrest warrant, and which were in an arrest warrant that was never submitted to the judge.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 880 other followers