Mets Marcum a No-Go
NEW YORK (AP) _ Shaun Marcum was unable to pitch a simulated game for the New York Mets because of pain in his neck and will not be able to come off the disabled list to start Sunday against the Miami Marlins.
Marcum had been set to throw Tuesday at the team’s spring training complex in Port St. Lucie, Fla.
Marcum signed a $4 million, one-year deal with the Mets during the offseason. He received a cortisone injection in his right shoulder for an impingement last month, then felt neck discomfort during a bullpen session on March 25. He did not pitch in any spring training games after March 16.
Aaron Laffey and Collin McHugh appear to be the most likely candidates to replace Marcum. Already missing injured ace Johan Santana, New York has a rotation that includes Jonathon Niese, Matt Harvey, Dillon Gee and Jeremy Hefner.
Santana had shoulder surgery Tuesday for the second time in 31 months.
The Mets said the 34-year-old left-hander was operated on at the Hospital for Special Surgery, where team medical director David Altchek repaired a tear in the capsule in the front of his left shoulder. The team said the two-time Cy Young Award winner was to be hospitalized overnight.
Santana is likely to miss the entire season for the second time in three years. He had surgery on Sept. 14, 2010, to repair tears in the front and bottom of the shoulder’s anterior capsule and did not make it back to the major leagues until last April 5.
New York owes Santana $31 million from his $137.5 million, six-year contract. General manager Sandy Alderson said the remainder of the contract is not covered by insurance.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)