Firefighters got an elderly couple out of a burning home on Hawthorne Drive in Berlin today.
Deputy Fire Marshal Matt Odishoo says one of them may have inhaled some smoke, and the other was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
“One of the occupants was at the doorway, a second occupant was inside the building,” Odishoo said. “One of the firefighters went in and pulled him out from a stairwell going down to the basement.”
The fire damaged the basement of the couple’s unit. There was fire, smoke and water damage to one attached unit, and some smoke damage in another attached unit.
Odishoo said the snow was not a factor in efforts to fight the fire.