Fire At S&S Dugout Restaurant

An early morning fire occurred in the S&S Dugout Restaurant at 3449 Post Road, Southport Wednesday morning.  Residents were able to escape do to the quick actions of the employee’s cell phone call and the building’s fire alarm system.  The structure, dating back to 1924, was saved due to the response and actions by the Fairfield Fire Department’s Engine 4, 1, 2, 5 and Ladder 1 and 2 – assisted by Squad 14 of Southport.

Firefighters quickly contained the fire to the area of the grill in the kitchen and initiated search and rescue of the second floor of the building which is used as a rooming house.

Four residents were evacuated from the second floor and briefly displaced in the early morning cold.  Occupants were evaluated for smoke exposure and none were transported.  They were able to reoccupy their single room apartments after responding units ventilated the smoke condition from the second floor.

The Town of Fairfield’s Building Department Official James Gilleran and Health Inspector Sands Cleary were called to the scene in the early morning to assess the effects of the fire.

The S & S Dugout was closed temporary for cleaning and restoration, hoping to open later in the day, pending re-inspection by the Health Department and Fire Marshal.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

Play for the Knockout Pool to Win $5,000
Play for the Pro Football Challenge to Win $5,000

Listen Live