A problem described as “compromised fuel” affected some of the buses used by First Student Bus Company for the Capitol Region Education Council Friday. A spokesman says algae was found in the fuel on some of the buses, so 150 were taken out of service in the interest of student safety. Transportation to at least eight CREC schools was affected.
CREC says First Student learned of the problem late Thursday. The buses affected were taken out of service, and are expected to be back in service when classes resume Tuesday. They’re investigating the source of the algae.
Families able to take their students to school on their own were encouraged to do so, and CREC said student absences because of a lack of transportation woul be excused.