Malloy Names Sandy Hook Advisory Commission
When he announced creation of a Sandy Hook Advisory Commission last week, Governor Dannel Malloy said the commission’s task would be to consider ways to prevent violence, in the wake of last month’s Newtown shootings. At the time, he said the panel should focus on mental health, law enforcement and gun laws.
When he announced formation of the commission, the governor named only one member, Hamden Mayor Scott Jackson, who will chair the group.
Today the governor named the remaining fifteen members of the commission. They are:
· Dr. Adrienne Bentman – Director, Adult Psychiatry Residency Program, Hartford Hospital’s Institute of Living
· Ron Chivinski – Teacher, Newtown Middle School
· Robert Ducibella – Founding Principal, DVS Security Consulting and Engineering
· Terry Edelstein – Nonprofit Liaison to Governor Malloy
· Kathleen Flaherty – Staff Attorney, Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut, Inc. / Facilitator and State Trainer, National Alliance for Mental Illness in Connecticut
· Dr. Alice M. Forrester – Executive Director, Clifford W. Beers Guidance Clinic, Inc.
· Dr. Ezra Griffith – Professor Emeritus of and Senior Research Scientist in Psychiatry, Deputy Chair for Diversity and Organizational Ethics, Department of Psychiatry, Yale University
· Patricia Keavney-Maruca – Member, State Board of Education / Former technical high school teacher
· Christopher Lyddy – Outgoing State Representative, 106th Assembly District of Newtown / Program Manager, Trainer & Consultant, Advanced Trauma Solutions, Inc. / Former Program Director, Youth Equipped for Success!, Forensic Health Services, Inc. / Former Clinical Supervisor, Juvenile Risk Reduction Center, Community Solutions, Inc. [Membership effective January 10, 2013]
· Denis McCarthy – Fire Chief, City of Norwalk
· Barbara O’Connor – Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police, University of Connecticut
· Wayne Sandford – Professor, University of New Haven, Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice & Forensic Sciences / Former Deputy Commissioner, Connecticut Department of Emergency Management & Homeland Security / Former Fire Chief, Town of East Haven
· Dr. David J. Schonfeld – Director, National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement / Professor, University of Cincinnati Department of Pediatrics
· Dr. Harold I. Schwartz – Chief Psychiatrist, Hartford Hospital’s Institute of Living
· Bernard R. Sullivan – Former Chief of Police, City of Hartford / Former Commissioner, Connecticut Department of Public Safety / Former Chief of Staff to House Speaker Tom Ritter
Malloy gave them a deadline of March 15 for their initial report, so the legislature can consider their recommendations.