Dick’s Sporting Goods Suspends Semi-Auto Gun Sales Nationwide
Danbury, Conn. (CBS CONNECTICUT) — Dick’s Sporting Goods, one of the biggest sports retailers in the world, said it has removed all guns from its store closest to the Newtown, Conn., shootings, and is suspending the sale of semi-automatic rifles nationwide.
The action is in response to the Dec. 14 Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting that left 26 people dead, including 20 children between the ages of 6 and 7 years old. Police are investigating whether the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, attempted to purchase a gun from the Dick’s store in Danbury – just 12 miles from Newtown, according to KTLA News.
Dick’s announced the move in a Tuesday morning media statement:
“We are extremely saddened by the unspeakable tragedy that occurred last week in Newtown, CT, and our hearts go out to the victims and their families, and to the entire community. Out of respect for the victims and their families, during this time of national mourning we have removed all guns from sale and from display in our store nearest to Newtown and suspended the sale of modern sporting rifles in all of our stores chain-wide. We continue to extend our deepest sympathies to those affected by this terrible tragedy.”
The company did not state how long the national gun-sale suspension will last. A search of Dick’s Sporting Goods’ website on Tuesday morning produced a blank page for the “modern sporting rifles” section.
“At this time, reports that the suspect visited one of our stores last week have not been confirmed by law enforcement,” the sporting goods store said in a statement to KTLA. “Based on our records, we can confirm that no firearms were sold to the suspect identified in this case.”
Dick’s Sporting Goods is a Fortune 500 company that has nearly 500 stores across the country.