By PAT EATON-ROBB,  Associated Press

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ Brendon Kay threw two touchdown passes to Travis Kelce, and caught one from the big tight end on a trick play as Cincinnati beat Connecticut 34-17 on Saturday.

The win gives the Bearcats (9-3) a share of the Big East championship, along with Louisville, Rutgers and Syracuse, all of which ended the season with 5-2 conference records. Cincinnati’s two conference losses came to the Cardinals and Scarlet Knights and the Bearcats were not in the running for the conference’s Bowl Championship Series bowl berth.

Kelce caught five balls for 69 yards and the two scores. Kay
completed 19 of his 29 passes for 245 yards and the two scores.

Chandler Whitmer threw for 264 yards and a touchdown for UConn
(5-7, 2-5), before leaving the game with a head injury in the third

Kay hit Kelce for a 25-yard touchdown on the Bearcats’ opening
drive, one of three passes of at least 25 yards during the
six-play, 76-yard march.

Kelce returned the favor in the second quarter. An interception
return by Chris Williams set the Bearcats up on the UConn 39. On
first down, Kelce took a backward screen pass from Kay and threw
the ball back across the field to his quarterback, who ran down the
right side for a touchdown that made it 14-0.

Kay found Kelce from 21-yards out on the opening drive of the
second half to give the Bearcats a 21-10 lead.

Kelce and Kay came into the program together as quarterbacks.
Connecticut tight end Ryan Griffin got the Huskies into the game
in the second quarter with a 74-yard catch and run. He caught the
ball on the UConn 35 and outran the Bearcats’ defense, diving into
the end zone after almost being tripped up at the 6-yard line by
Deven Drane. It was 14-10 at the half.

UConn freshman kicker Bobby Puyol made the first field goal of
his career, a 40-yarder to give the Huskies their first points.

That was set up when Chandler Whitmer found Michael Smith open over
the middle for a 51-yard pass from the UConn 24-yard line. UConn’s
regular kicker, Chad Christen, sat out the game with a hip injury.

Whitmer started for UConn despite being knocked out of last
week’s win over Louisville with a head injury. He left this game in
the third quarter after taking a shot from Greg Blair on a trick
play and hitting his head on the turf.

Senior walk-on Johnny McEntee replaced Whitmer and completed the
15-play, 69-yard drive which ended with a 1-yard touchdown plunge
by Lyle McCombs. It was the first second-half touchdown in a Big
East game for UConn and brought the Huskies to within four at

McCombs finished with 21 carries for 60 yards.

But a bad pass by McEntee that was intercepted by Drane set up
another Bearcats touchdown, a 4-yard run by George Winn, his 12th
touchdown this season. That came after Tony Miliano had made it a
seven-point game, hitting a 38-yard field goal with 12 minutes
left. His 42-yarder with 6 minutes left put a bow on the game.
McEntee finished with 73 yards passing and two interceptions.

Winn finished with just 70 yards rushing after coming in
averaging 105 yards per game and 5.5 yards per carry. He had just 8
yards at the half.

Cincinnati gets a share of its fourth conference title in five
years and the Bearcats will be going to their sixth bowl game in
seven years.

Connecticut, which also lost to Cincinnati last season with bowl
eligibility on the line, finished its second consecutive losing
season since Paul Pasqualoni took over the program from Randy

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

Watch CBSN Live
CBS Entertainment

Listen Live