WTIC1080
Fire Weather Watch: The National Weather Service says dry air and strong winds will increase the risk of brush fires spreading in parts of the state. Read More

Local News

Kidnapper Draws 14 Years In Plea Deal

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) _ An East Haven man has accepted a plea deal that will put him in prison for 14 years for a kidnapping earlier this year.

The New Haven Register reports (http://bit.ly/YtwoMd ) that Albert Leclaire told New Haven Superior Court Judge Patrick Clifford on Wednesday that he felt badly about the May kidnapping and robbing.

The 44-year-old Leclaire pleaded guilty to second-degree kidnapping and first-degree robbery under the Alford doctrine, meaning he did not accept all the allegations but conceded there is enough evidence to likely convict him. Had he been convicted after a trial, he could have been sentenced to up to 40 years.

Prosecutors say Leclaire approached a woman’s car claiming his car had broken down. He entered her car saying he had a gun.

Five hours later, she texted her boyfriend who contacted police.
___
Information from: New Haven Register, http://www.nhregister.com

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus