WWE Will Seek “Next Five” Economic Aid From State

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ The chief financial officer of Stamford-based WWE says the wrestling entertainment company is seeking aid under Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s “Next Five” economic development program as it plans to launch a cable TV network.

George Barrios said Thursday that the WWE didn’t put a dollar amount on the request. The network would employ about 200 people.

A spokesman for the state Department of Economic and Community Development, says he can’t comment on the WWE’s application because of state laws protecting trade secrets.

Barrios’ comments came during a conference call with reporters about a $4.4 million settlement earlier this year between the WWE and the state involving disputed corporate tax calculation methods.

Democrats on Thursday used the settlement to criticize Republican U.S. Senate candidate Linda McMahon, the WWE’s former chief executive.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

More From CBS Connecticut

Celebrate Memorial Day
Audio Ad Center

Listen Live