Bottle Taken To Hazardous Waste Pickup Turns Out To Be Too Hazardous

The State Police Bomb Squad was called to Stafford Saturday,  after an item dropped off at the “Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day” turned out to be too hazardous for ordinary disposal methods.

The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection says a resident brought in a small bottle of tetrahydrofuran,  a chemical used as a solvent and in manufacturing polymers.  If not stored properly it can become explosive.  Representatives of Clean Harbors, the contractor running the collection effort,  called the Stafford Fire Department and asked the State Police Bomb team to help stabilize the container.

The area around the waste collection site on East Street was closed off.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

The Latest UConn News
CT Business Spotlight

Listen Live