One Dead, Two Injured In New Milford Explosion
NEW MILFORD, Conn. (AP) _ A man trying to help a New Milford homeowner repair a propane leak was killed when the house exploded, leaving only a chimney, police said.
The homeowner and a child of the man who was killed were injured in the blast that leveled the two-story, Cape-style farmhouse about 7 p.m. Wednesday, The News-Times in Danbury reported (http://bit.ly/OKwSH5 ).
The homeowner and the child, a fourth-grader, suffered lacerations and burns, police said. They were taken to hospitals.
Neighbors told the paper the homeowner’s wife and their two children were not at home at the time, and rescuers said no one else was at the home when it blew up. The residence was on Sunny Valley Road, across from a nature preserve.
Police spokesman Lt. Larry Ash said onlookers were being kept away because asbestos particles might have blown into the air.
“It’s just an incredible sight. There’s nothing left of the house,” Ash told the newspaper.
Eric Bailey, who lives nearby, said he and his family were sitting down to dinner when they felt the explosion. He said he thought a plane or a car had run into their house.
“The entire house just _ boom! _ shook,” Bailey said.
Information from: The News-Times, http://www.newstimes.com
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)