Propane Leak Sparks Town Hall Explosion

WASHINGTON, Conn. (AP) _ A car that drove into a 1,000-gallon propane tank in the western Connecticut town of Washington Depot caused a leak that sparked an explosion in town hall.

No injuries were reported in the early Sunday morning blast that the News Times of Danbury reports blew out windows in a meeting hall.

State environmental officials say the car settled on top of the propane tank and has been removed. The remaining propane is being flared off.

First Selectman Mark Lyon told the newspaper that a caterer’s vehicle drove across the lawn and sheared off the gas tank’s filler pipe. He says the driver used a fire alarm to call for help and got other members of the catering staff outside the building before the explosion.

The hall had been rented for a wedding Saturday evening.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

The Latest UConn News
CT Business Spotlight

Listen Live