Emails: Feds In Dark Days Before Connecticut Busway OK’d

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) _ Emails between top state officials show
that a week before Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced last year that
the state will build a costly and contentious bus-only corridor
between Hartford and New Britain, federal transportation officials
still did not know if he would support or kill it.

In a March 27, 2011, email released in response to a Freedom of
Information request, a state Transportation Department official
told Malloy’s chief of staff that the regional director of the
Federal Transit Administration suggested that the governor could
announce his decision on the $567 million project at a meeting in
Hartford.

He said that was assuming the decision was positive for the
busway.

Malloy announced his support eight days later, saying he was
reluctant to reject hundreds of millions of dollars from
Washington.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

Play for the Knockout Pool to Win $5,000
Play for the Pro Football Challenge to Win $5,000

Listen Live