‘Overabundance’ Of High Schooler’s AXE Body Spray Sets Off Fire Alarm

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (CBSConnecticut/AP) – Officials say a fire alarm that went off at a Connecticut high school was activated by a student’s “overabundance” of body spray in a locker room.

Firefighters were called to Middletown High School shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday.

Officials told The Middletown Press  that the student used an excessive amount of the scented spray and created a cloud of mist right below a heat sensor, which tripped the fire alarm.

“It was some kid in the locker room using body spray and it created a cloud of mist right underneath the sensor,” Fire Marshal Albert Santostefano told the paper. “The mist could trip the fire alarm, steam from a shower could trip it. It looks like he used an overabundance, and they said it was Axe Body Spray.”

Firefighters allowed students and teachers to return to the building shortly after arriving.

Officials deemed the call a “routine accidental.”

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

The Latest UConn News
CT Business Spotlight

Listen Live