Faulty Stove Connection Blamed For Fire Which Destroyed 1700’s House

CANTERBURY, Conn. (AP) _ Officials say a bad wood stove connection caused a fire in Canterbury that destroyed a three-story home built in the 1700s.

Tuesday morning’s fire leveled the home on North Canterbury Road and drew responses from five fire departments. No one was injured.

Local Fire Marshal Paul Yellen told The Bulletin of Norwich that a joint investigation with the state fire marshal office found a defective connection between a wood stove pipe and a chimney.

Officials say four people were living in the house. The American Red Cross offered them help with housing and other needs.

The fire was reported shortly before 5:30 a.m. Local firefighters had problems getting water to the scene and were helped by departments in neighboring towns.

___
Information from: Norwich Bulletin, http://www.norwichbulletin.com

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Connecticut

CBS Hartford 4 Charity
Win Red Sox Tickets All Season

Listen Live