SHERMAN, Maine (CBS Connecticut/AP) — Authorities say about 200 pigs died in a fire at an eastern Maine farm that may have been started by an electrical malfunction.

Sherman Fire Chief Todd Hayes says no one was injured in the blaze reported by farmer Sam Sides at about 11:15 p.m. Sunday.

Sides says he got up late Sunday night to check on two sows about to give birth. Instead he watched his livelihood go up in flames.

“It’s pretty devastating for me and my business, and I just hope that we’re able to pick up and move on, and still sell pork,” Sides told WCSH-TV.

Hayes says about 30 firefighters from Sherman and surrounding communities responded, but the 70-by-170-foot barn was fully engulfed by the time they arrived and the animals were trapped inside.

Hayes says the farmer described arcing wires inside the building before calling 911.

The farm supplied pork products to about 70 Maine grocery stores.

The family has insurance.

(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live