Toddler’s Tantrum Gets Family Ejected From JetBlue Flight

BOSTON (CBS Connecticut) — One child and one case of the “terrible two’s” caused officials on-board a JetBlue flight to boot the toddler’s entire family.

According to KSL-TV, when Dr. Colette Vieau’s daughter Natalie became a handful on a plane bound for Boston from Turks and Caicos on Feb. 18, the flight crew asked the family to leave.

“We were holding them down with all of our might, seat belt on,” Vieau told KSL in relation to Natalie and her 3-year-old sister, Cecilia. “And I said, ‘We have them seated. Can we go now?’ She said the pilots made a decision to turn the plane around.”

A statement reportedly released by JetBlue explains that the pilot felt there were safety concerns in relation to the child’s behavior.

“Flight 850 … had customers that did not comply with crew member instructions for a prolonged time period,” the statement read. “The Captain elected to remove the customers involved for the safety of all customers and crew members on board.”

The family was stranded, without any additional flights to Boston for the rest of the day, and forced to spend an additional $2,000 on booking new flights home and finding accommodations for the night.

Though Vieau tried to calm her daughters down by holding them, federal law forbids children from riding in their parent’s laps above the age of two. Natalie had reportedly just celebrated her second birthday.

“I don’t know that I could blame JetBlue, to be totally fair,” Vieau told the station. “I just feel like it’s airplane travel today in general. I was certainly upset by the way this flight attendant handled the situation. As a result, yeah, I would probably try to avoid JetBlue in the future.”

Comments

1. E Hamptons says:

Take responsibility for your brat! Kids on labs on a plane is BS and affects everyone else on the plane. This is moronic parenting! Yea Jet Blue…. I will use them in the future knowing they don’t tolerate this type of passenger.

1. Bruce says:

I hope you arent one of those passengers who feels rules only apply to others. While I do not like crying kids throwing a tantrum any more than most people, at least I understand that a 2-year old does not know better and sometimes cannot be controlled. What I do not understand are the passengers who need multiple personal invitations to turn off their phones and electronic devices before takeoff. They can control themselves but feel as if the rules do not apply to them. Perhaps we should have them ejected as well.

2. Phil says:

News flash to parents: NO ONE likes your noisy undisciplined brats, but they are afraid to tell you because rude people never react well when their rudeness is called out. Are you willing to pay for ruined meals and ruined flights? How would you like it if I screamed in your ear every few minutes and kicked your seat constantly? Please show some courtesy toward others.

1. Bruce says:

I agree that parents should control their kids and I have always striven to control mine. So, do you agree that we should speak up about those loud passengers who happen to be adults? The ones who scream into their cell phones after they have been told to turn them off. The ones who keep texting and emailing secretly in their laps as the plane is heading down the runway. The ones who stink because they could not bother to bathe or brush their teeth.

2. MOMOF2 says:

PHIL THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UNDISCIPLINED “BRATS” AND KIDS WHO CANNOT SIT STILL. IT IS NOT THE PARENTS FAULT ALL THE TIME . KIDS ON PLANES CAN HAVE TERRIBLE EARACHES AND NOT BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. I HAD TO SIT ON A PLANE FOR 6 HOURS FROM HAWAII TO CALIFORNIA WITH A RUDE MAN WHO DECIDED TO RECLINE HIS SEAT ALL THE WAY BACK AND WHEN I POLITELY ASKED HIM TO MOVE HIS SEAT UP, HE CALLED ME AN EXTREMELY RUDE NAME AND WAS CAUSING A BIG SCENE BUT BECAUSE HE HAD A BRACE ON HIS LEG, THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT TOOK HIS SIDE AND STATED HE HAD THE “RIGHT” TO DO SO. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY RIGHTS? HE DIDN’T GET KICKED OFF BUT I WAS THREATENED TO BE THROWN OFF BECAUSE I SPOKE UP? C’MON NOW. WHERE IS THE LINE HERE? NOBODY EVER WINS IN THESE SITUATIONS.

3. Perry Masonjar says:

I wonder what legal action might be taken by the parents for their additional costs due to being bumped off the flight? Any sensible judge would throw them out on their (r)ear. The misbehavior of children is a reflection of their parents. So, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the parents throw a ‘legal hissy fit’. Thanks to Jet Blue, the rights of other passengers were being protected, and rightly so.

1. Bruce says:

I agree that the family had to leave the plane. But do you seriously believe that a 2-year old having a meltdown is a reflection of the parents? If so, you are clearly not a parent. Kids at that age cannot be controlled like a robot 100% of the time – even “good” kids. And do you really think that JetBlue should not have flown them on another flight at no additional charge? That would have shown both the priority of passenger and crew safety and compassion for a family with a very young child. Or do you believe that families with kids should not be allowed to have a vacation?

4. John A says:

Go, Jet Blue! The mother had to belt and hold the child down?? Absolutely 100% agree with the crew & pilot’s decision to remove the family from the flight. No one want’s to be stuck on a plane with a undisciplined child and apathetic parents.

1. Bruce says:

I agree. Safety has to come first!

5. Emily C says:

It’s amazing that only men have replied to this post. Most likely men with no children. Yes, you were all children once and most likely did the same thing on a couple of flights as you grew up. It’s not the parents fault. Kids act out every once in a while and sometimes, in unfortunate situations. It’s called life. I know it’s uncomfortable having children screaming on flights, but think about how the kids feel. Having annoying adults on flights telling them every 2 seconds what they are doing wrong.

1. Bruce says:

Thank you for another voice of reason here. Don’t be surprised, but I suspect that the complainers above are those who believe that the rules don’t apply to them anyway. Their screaming and tantrums are allowed and they are entitled to life on their terms.

2. Ryan says:

My parents were smart enough to find a baby sitter. It probably saved them about $2000.

6. lindy says:

If ANYONE…child or adult behaves in a manner that in inappropriate and/or disruptive, they should be booted off of the plane. Federal law supports the pilot and crew providing a safe environment for passengers…screaming for a prolonged period of time (as the article suggested) certainly interferes with the ability of the flight crew to communicate with other passengers in the event of a bona fide emergency. As the mother of three (who are 20 months and 18 months apart in age) I traveled with them frequently. They are now 20, 19 and 17 yrs old, but when they were little, they knew ahead of time what behaviors were expected and consequences if expectations were not met. It wasn’t easy, but setting the ground rules for behavior at an early age and consistently enforcing them through positive rewards (praise) and negative consequences (or the threat thereof) isn’t rocket science, folks.

Our society needs more parents who do not feel entitled, who will be responsible for their kids and their behaviors (and hopefully pass on that type of responsible parenting). If there is a child who has behavior issues, find another way to travel. You should NEVER subject others to the poor behaviors of someone you are responsible for. That said, I do appreciate the mother stating that to be fair, she could not blame Jet Blue…goodness, I hope not! She is lucky they don’t bill her for the added fuel costs to turn that plane around and drop her naughty 3 yr old off! If you can’t “control” a 3 yr old, what are you going to do when they are 16?? Waiting until you are on enclosed with a plane-full of people to enforce behavioral guidelines is sort of like Russian Roulette…maybe the $2000 hit to the pocketbook will help her rethink her parenting skills and enlist the help of some professionals if she has difficulty modifying the behavior of a 3 yr old.

1. Andy J says:

Really, Turkes and Cacos? Please, rent an RV and drive to Disney. Better yet, go to the local mall, the kids don’t care about vacationing in the tropics. Too bad neither of them is a psychiatrist, they need to have their heads examined. I am a new fan of Jet Blue.

7. Eleanor Stranthom says:

@Emily C

Yes Emily EVERYONE should just suck it up when children are bratty and obnoxious on flights, in restaurants and other public places because after all “they are CHILDREN”. I am SO SICK of having to listen to that line of thinking. I AM a woman, I HAVE children, but I still believe that the general public has the right to a peaceful meal, flight and recreation without having to deal with my child.

8. laurie says:

Why even bring a child to a couples destination like Turquiose??? It’s kind of remote…. not exactly Disney and the flights are limited.

9. Perry Masonjar says:

@Bruce; The rights of the other passengers were about to be violated, so the pilots decided to protect the rights of the majority. The family whose children were making noise have a right to do whatever they want, unless they interfere with the rights of others. And parents who haven’t learned to discipline their children have failed as parents, and may have failed society by possibly raising someone who will be much more trouble later in life. At 3:07 pm, you suggested complainers think the rules don’t apply to them, but you are merely hypothesizing. So, I suspect you are posting here just to bait people.

10. The Mommy Psychologist says:

I’ve been spending lots of time discussing how our generation of parents continues to struggle with disciplining our children. We seem to have lost all control. I expect instances like this will continue. I am by no means exempt from this issue as I struggle with my son’s poor behavior ALL the time.

Check out the post I wrote about this issue at http://www.themommypsychologist.com.

11. Szymon says:

Did anyone see the interview NBC did with family this morning? I nearly fell off my couch laughing. Both parents had ZERO control over both of the girls through the entire interview with both kids showing absolutely no response to both parents trying to quiet them down.

12. Toddler Mommy says:

I’m so sick and tired of seeing article after article and post after post of basically the same message, “You are a parent, thus have no right to enjoy spending time with your child outside of your house”. Don’t bring an annoying child on a boat, train, plane, subway, restaurant, museum….. and the comments, “get a sitter, sitter, sitter”. In addition to ENJOYING time with my son,I feel experience is the best way to educate my son, at two he may not know how to act in 100% of situations but by bringing him along he is learning. Personally I’d rather he learn now then be a 10 year old who has no idea how to act.