Firefighters battled smoke and flames in a brick, 3-story apartment building in Hartford this afternoon.
Captain James McLoughlin said it appears everyone who was in the Forest Street building got out safely.
“They had fire coming out of the picture window on the left side of the building in the rear,” McLoughlin said. “The window itself is about four feet high by about eight feet wide.”
When firefighters arrived, the flames were on the second floor. They spread to the third story.
The Forest Place Apartments are near Hartford Public High School and the Mark Twain House.
The Red Cross said as many as forty units might be affected. It opened an emergency shelter at the Pope Park Community Center.