Local News

Million Dollars Damages Awarded Former Altar Boy In Abuse Case

View Comments
File photo of a gavel (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

File photo of a gavel (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WATERBURY, Conn. (AP) _ A jury has ruled that the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford should pay $1 million in damages to a former altar boy who was sexually abused by a priest decades ago.

The Hartford Courant reports the Superior Court jury in Waterbury delivered the verdict Friday after about three and a half hours of deliberations.

The jury found the archdiocese was reckless and negligent in its handling of the priest, Ivan Ferguson.

The victim presented evidence that Ferguson was allowed contact with children in the early 1980s despite admitting earlier that he had sexually abused other boys.

A lawyer for the archdiocese said the abuse was despicable. But he said Ferguson was allowed to resume contact with children only after church experts concluded he could control his attraction to boys.
___
Information from: The Hartford Courant, http://www.courant.com

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 845 other followers