Woman Overcome By Carbon Monoxide Fumes In Westfield Home
WESTFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say a beloved teacher in a Connecticut school district has died after being overcome by carbon monoxide at her Massachusetts home.
Westfield police say a husband and wife were found unresponsive in their home last week. Police went to the home after getting a call from a home health care aide who checked on the couple.
The woman was dead and the man was taken to Baystate Medical Center and is expected to survive.
The superintendent of the East Granby, Conn. school district said in a posting on the district website that the woman who died was popular music teacher Crete Kochanek.
Superintendent Christine Mahoney says Kochanek has touched the lives of many students.
The death is under investigation but police think a furnace malfunction is the likely cause.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)